This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hip Flexor/Quads & PPT in PL & FL

Started by David Birchall, October 26, 2016 · 2 Replies · 119 Views

David Birchall

I cannot extend my legs into full PPT in PL & FL work.

I thought it was a strength deficit however now I am beginning to wonder because I can do full front splits left leg behind however when doing right leg behind I am a good 15cm from the floor and can hardly straighten my legs.  I had an injury some time ago and Ive been lazy with stretching to get the flexibility back in my right quad/hip flexor.

Does this seem like a strength deficit i.e: not enough forward lean in PL and not a great enough angle when extending my shoulders in FL or are my suspicions correct and I need to address my active flexibility in Qs&HFs?

If the latter, would I be correct in thinking I should focus on my front splits more and work on an exercise such as supine PPT Lower and Straddle Hollow Body Holds with legs going right down to the floor for FL.  For PL perhaps more floor bent arm straddle planches & BAsPL Single/Double Leg Extensions along with maybe going back and doing some of the the leg extension exercises lay prone on top of a box from the earlier foundations: I think one was called "straddle running man" or "straddle donkey kick"?

My Exercise Thoughts:

General: Front Split Stretch Course

FL: Supine PPT Lower // Straddle Hollow Body Hold // Hollow Body Hold

PL: Bent Arm Straddle Planche Leg Extensions // Prone Box Straddle Leg Extensions // SAC iMs

Is there anything else to address this if it is a mobility problem?

 

FRONT LEVER IMGs:

RIGHT See - right leg is much worse than left:

Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 12.36.30.png

 

LEFT: Better but not great

Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 12.36.11.png

 

PLANCHE IMAGES:

I Think I do need to lean forward more but I think mobility is playing a role - I know, bad lifting of hands.. I bulked again and slightly less relative strength despite greater absolute strength at this weight. I am going back to single leg extensions until I address form but took these yesterday just playing with some DLEs & straddle holds:

Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 12.49.18.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 12.41.12.png

 

 

Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 12.38.47.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 12.36.11.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 12.36.30.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 12.41.12.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-26 at 12.49.00.png

Alessandro Mainente

Hi David it seems a lack of glute strength and tight rectus femoris, front split stretch course provides a very good stretch for the rectus femoris. also I would like to see from you one supported mobility from planche and one unsupported (BA planche mobility).

John Koliopoulos

Wow you weigh 100 kg? That is some serious strength dude, props!