This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Low Bridge Single leg mobility for FLPE14

Started by Brenda Weiss, October 25, 2016 · 12 Replies · 202 Views

Brenda Weiss

I am having difficulty not collapsing when elevating a single leg from the low bridge(FLPE14iM)     I have  tried  to devise a progression, but have been unsuccessful. A band helps, but is cumbersome for  repetitive  use. I cannot find this query in the forum, the searches just bring up dozens of entries for bridge, etc.

I can hold the low bridge for ten seconds,  even 20 seconds, for the five sets of FL 13. Right now I am just holding that  low bridge for longer durations while I progress thru the FL 14 kip exercise.

Any suggestions would be welcome.  

Everett Carroll

Can you please post a video?

Nicholas Murray

Without seeing you, try a couple of the child's pose exercises here: http://www.cirquephysio.com/home/every-day-is-glute-dayand-other-stories-from-the-battleofthebooty

They are single leg and you will still need to figure out how to stabilise yourself, regardless of whether you do them on the floor or off a bench. But with torso flexed (rather than extended, as in FL-PE14), you might find it a little easier, then be able to transfer the strength/stability to the PE.

Kai Ewert

I also found these surprisingly hard compared to the low bridge. I had found the PE so hard and the low bridge so easy that I (gasp!) trained the PE without the iM for a while. The iM then (when I brought it in, expecting nothing much) ended up holding me back from mastery for several weeks.

You will want to try them separately and not just as iM if they give you trouble. I found it helpful to center the foot that will remain on the floor before lifting the other one. 

I also found that despite having mastered circling arch ups in the SL series, these made my lower back muscles sore. 

On a positive note, I found that they improved quite rapidly.

Kai Ewert

As a "progression", I think I recall finding them easier in a slightly higher bridge. Don't do that if your back is not ready for it though.

Brenda Weiss

I cannot get the dropbox or URL links to insert properly. I'll work on this and try again 

 

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Sorry Brenda I cannot see the video, please upload it on youtube.

Mark Collins

This exercise requires rotation stability so it is different to the standard low bridge. Are your feet close together when you start?

Manuel Weiss

Thanks Mark. I've tried it both ways ,  and had difficulty maintaining torso aloft in either a close-together foot- plant, or wider apart. How do you place your feet?

My shoulder strength in this flexed and awkward  position  may be an issue here, I think it is lacking, so I've gone back to  extending the height of my torso , and duration of the standard low bridge with a quadruped  stance for now.

Sorry about lack of video, there are quirky things with this site preventing right clicking, etc, that has made the upload very cumbersome for me . I just gave up.Will try and figure it out on the next question. As an aside, I've found some of your comments helpful on other threads, thanks. I am also not a female, It took awhile to get the name changed (wife originally bought the course for me as a gift).

Also, parenthetically, I ruptured a distal nondominant biceps tendon after this post was started,  so this  progression  will have to wait a bit now....having done hundreds of Korean dips, with what I considered to be quite decent form. I had incorporated these late in a warmup sequence with good effect, never had any issues or pain with that move....but this particular day it was cold, I left a sweatshirt on carelessly, then tangled the hood in the bar, letting it push my torso away  from the bar, and distracting me, loosening my supinated grip, and dumped my body weight into extended elbows too quickly to bail. A pretty stupid accident with some longlasting effect.....

Mark Collins

Can you do a single leg bridge with the shoulders on the ground? I place the feet as close to the midline as possible.

You can also shift your weight from foot to foot whilst keeping them both on the ground. This will help to improve your strength until you can lift the foot.

The thoracic bridge series will also help with this exercise.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

For anyone that does not already know... flexing your lower back muscles helps with this mobility elements.

Manuel Weiss

Fitzgerald: flexing lumbar musculature, meaning as in a posterior pelvic tilt, umbilicus to pubis? Seems hard to do in this position. What are you referring to here?