This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Confusion about "Breakfast Construction"

Started by Christoph Gnauck, October 25, 2016 · 5 Replies · 187 Views

Christoph Gnauck

Jeff talks in step 6 about leaving out the carbs with breakfast in order to stay in "fat burning mode". I wondered if it doesn't conflict with eating i.e. greek yoghurt or kefir for breakfast since it contains at least some carbs (lactose). Could someone clarify for me what he means by skipping carbs: Does it mean no carbs at all or low carbs such as in greek yoghurt? Should I get a different source for fat beginning with step 6? What am I missing?

 

Thanks in advance!

Jared Birbeck

there are some questions/comments around this in the forum but my recollection is while there are some carbs they aren't enough to worry about. On top of this, with real yoghurt and I expect with Kefir as well, the yoghurt bugs continue to eat the carbs after packaging so the labelled carbs may be a bit lower. Don't sweat it. my experience with homemade yoghurt and kefir is that the activity continues even after the stuff is in the fridge and chilled.

It's worth noting too that Thrive 1 is about adding things in and not so much about taking things out.

There is a big difference between a few carbs in greek yoghurt, and diving into packaged cereal.

I go for a no fruit, no starch AM, the morning is usually milk, yoghurt and cottage cheese most weekdays. eggs and cheese on the weekend. first starches at lunch.

Christoph Gnauck

Thank you for the reply. I will keep my eyes open for the comments in the forum.

I like your info about thrive 1. 

I read some while ago that milk in coffee spikes blood sugar. Somewhere else I read that one should be careful with dairy "it might cause disease x/y". That is why I have been careful to eat milk based products like cheese, yoghurt, curd, etc even though I can get some pretty good organic products around where I live. The problem in general is that one reads something somewhere and gets confused because you don't have the whole picture :-) 

 

Jeff Serven

Milk is very insulinogenic meaning it will raise your blood sugar but when we look at the big picture its no big deal. Insluin is not bad as people want to claim, its actually largely responsible for muscle gain but, when you drink 4 gallons of koolaid, yes 15x normal levels are bad. Milk also has IGF1 in it a growth hormone, the idea that milk causes disease is generaly claiming that because IGF1 makes cells grow it makes your cancer cells grow, there is validity to this claim but only if you have cancer right now. Otherwise its nonsense 

Christoph Gnauck

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. 

Sean Cunningham

I had the same question, and I just wanted to get a little more clarity. I understand that I want to avoid starches, breads, sugar (corn syrup, cane sugar, beet sugar, fruit, etc), and most anything that includes wheat flour (whole, processed, or otherwise). From the response here, it sounds like whole milk, whole milk yogurts, and other fatted dairy products are okay. 

What about oats (whole rolled or steel cut)? I see a lot of people listing oats in their breakfast.