This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Overtraining question

Started by George Traganidas 235308, October 23, 2016 · 10 Replies · 318 Views

George Traganidas 235308

Hi all,

 

I have been reading the forums for about 3 weeks and I am trying to figure out a good workout plan for a whole week. A little bit more information about me. In the last 4 years I have been a dedicated gym weight lifter and for the 4 years I have been working out 5 days a week for about 1 hour per day. I even work out when I am on holiday, so dedication is not an issue for me. In the last few months, I have noticed that my flexibility is getting worse and I decided to stop weight lifting and focus on GB for about 1 year (or more) to improve my flexibility. I am a person that goes all-in when I start something new, so I bought the Fundamentals, Stretching and Handstand series and I have created a weekly plan based on them.

 

Mon: Front Splits

Tue: Core, Lower Body, Upper Body, Hand Stand

Wed: Thoracic Bridge

Thu: Core, Lower Body, Upper Body, Hand Stand

Fri: Middle Splits

 

I have followed this program for 2 weeks now and I do not know if it is enough J I know that I should not train the stretch series more times in a week and I should give my body time to recover, but I do not feel much pain or tiredness after a finish my programs. Also, I tend to finish the workouts in about 45 minutes.

 

I was thinking to add a Heavy squat session (just 3 sets) on Monday before the Front Splits, a heavy bench chest lift (just 3 sets again) on Wednesday before the Thoracic Bridge and a deadlift session (3 sets again) on Friday before the Middle Splits. Then the stretching sessions would stretch out the muscles I worked.

 

Would that program be too much? When I look at it on paper it looks fine to me. At this point I want to point out that I am a person who commits and I will not lose interest after a few weeks.

 

I just do not want to add the squat, bench press and deadlift in the program and slow down the progress of the stretches, because my body does not recover for the next stretch session.

 

What are your thoughts?

 

Regards,

George

Tanya Hill

Hi George, 

The program you have written out is a great starting point. I would run this schedule for 8 weeks then change if needed.

I personally like to do Lower Body before the stretch courses. 

For the weighted squats and lifting, I would try to keep this at a minimum until you have made comfortable mobility gains. If you are lifting you will find that it tightens you up the next day and will slow down your progress. 

 

Suzanna McGee

George, I don't know at what step(s) you are in the exercises, but I think once you reach the mastery numbers (5x15r, or 5x60s/r), the whole F7 will take more than 45 minutes… Then you may need to split the F7 and HS… I like to do F7 like you, and I do

Mon: F7

Tue: H1+H2

Wed: I choose many iMs (Jeff. Curl, windmills, Xiopengs, dislocates) and do about 40 minutes of them, then MSS. 

Thu: H1+H2

Fri: F7

Sat: FSS (and possible some favorite iMs before that)

Sun: TBS (and my pole fitness class before that)

I would also skip all the other weight training like Tanya suggest. I did that too. 

 

Mark Carter

Give your schedule a lot more time.  As you go through the progressions, and hit some mastery, you will settle into the right levels for you.  That honestly can take 4-8 weeks.  At that point, there is no way you can properly complete Core, Lower Body, Upper Body and Handstand in 45 minutes.  Double that would be a good guess.  And when you are at a level when you are challenged each workout with higher volume, then you'll definitely feel it.

I agree about skipping weight training.  I went through that as well.  When I dedicated myself to just this training, I found it was plenty.

George Traganidas 235308

Thank you very much guys for your replies. I think that I am just impatient and that is something that I have to work on :) I will just follow the program for 8 weeks and then I will recalibrate.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi George, if you are new to GST and on F1 you have low chances to develop overtraining if you train the same exercise no more than 2 times a week. sometime beginners find that also 3 times a week it is not enough to promote overtraining. the more various it is your training and accurate the level of intensity for your exercise the less probability you have to develop some conditions. remember that the smiley option works best for these situations, try to be as much honest with yourself as you can.

Mark Carter

George,

Two additional thoughts.  First on overtraining, if you are eating right, sleeping enough, etc., then overtraining shouldn't be an issue.  But there will be times that you may feel like you need a little rest.  Or, you may take a little rest because life gets in the way and you come back more refreshed even though you were not technically overtrained.

Second, regarding soreness and fatigue, it took me a while to get used to the different "feel" to this workout (I come from a background of power/oly lifting, some crossfit, HIIT, etc.)  When you're really challenged with GB it's more like a general feeling of overall fatigue, rather than an acute soreness feeling.  And I've never had DOMS with GB.  Most often, it's a couple hours after a good workout and I realize that I feel fatigued throughout my entire body.  I would liken it more to a long swimming workout.  It's got its own feeling, that's for sure.

George Traganidas 235308

Thanks guys for your great replies.

@Mark Carter you are correct about the different type of 'feeling'. Even though I do not feel my muscles aching, I definitely feel tired. And when you think about it, you did not do 'anything hard' but just simple exercises and stretching. But I get it that they are taxing to the body, in a different way.

 

Mark Carter

@GeorgeTraganidas, don't worry, soon enough you'll feel like you did "something hard!"

Adam Porter
23 hours ago, Mark Carter said:

@GeorgeTraganidas, don't worry, soon enough you'll feel like you did "something hard!"

Ooh, I believe that already. I'm not sore the next day, but I sure am weak and wobbly for the rest of that evening...and that's barely into PE1.

Ian Macleod

Hi George,

 

I read your post and thought I could give another perspective.  Real quick just to give you an idea of where I’m coming from in my Training. I have been consistently performing per week, 4 – 5 GB Foundations/Handstands, 3-4 bouldering, 2 yoga, 1-2 Olympic Lifting, 1-2 Weights, 3-4 Hiit, and 2-3 Mobility/Stretching Sessions. All of this I have done for the last 3 months with a maximum of 1 “Rest” day a week.

On to your post,

The time for your body to recover will vary from one individual to another based on a number of variables. (Quality of Sleep, Intensity of Training Performed, Type of Training Performed, Nutritional Intake) I understand the need for wanting to add “Heavy” Weight Sessions, but there are definitely a few things to consider. The Idea of Over Training is a result of Poor Planning (i.e. Training Types, Body parts, Intensity) and Poor Recovery (i.e. Sleep, Nutritional Intake, Stress Management)

If you want to add additional weight Training sessions to your overall program without it negatively affecting your stretching program, then I would say that it is more than possible. It will just take better planning and better Recovery as well as some experimentation.

In Regards to your “heavy” weight sessions, are you just focused on the Variables of Total Weight, Sets, and Reps? Have you thought of other Variables that you could include that not only lets you train “heavy” but training with Mobility/ROM in mind?

With Weights, most people only think of the basic Variables of Sets, Reps, Weight, and Type of exercise and Rest Periods.  If you focused on ROM (Full Stretch and Full Contraction), level of Contraction Throughout the Movement, Strength Curve, and Tempo, You could use significantly less weight and it will most likely benefit you in both gaining greater mobility and increased overall Relative strength.

In Regards to Recovery, it will be necessary to take a closer look at your nutritional profile, not only the foods that you consume throughout the day, but also any supplements that are or not consumed pre, intra, and post workouts. Having a better idea of your sleep patterns and your life patterns as well.

Again if you really want to do it, you can. It will just take more mindful planning and better Recovery.

Regards,

Ian