This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS/SE1 Hawaiian Squat, plus iM

Started by Suzanna McGee, October 23, 2016 · 11 Replies · 163 Views

Suzanna McGee

Can you please comment? 

 

 

 

Petri Widsten

I think you've got the PE down well. A fun extra challenge is to lower all the way down and try to get up.

On the iM, can you extend your legs further?

Maksis Riley

Keeping the hips fully extended makes the iM much more challenging and helps bridge the gap to the following progression. I would try to work that before moving on personally. I think the PE looks pretty good but could get smoother; I struggle to balance with it too!

 

Max

Suzanna McGee

Thanks, @Petri Widsten and @Maksis Riley… I didn't even realize I was not extending fully. I was fighting the booty to fall down, that was my only focus to keep it up. Tomorrow I will work on fully extending my legs. Yea, the PE's balance was tricky. This stretching area is upstairs and you see all the people working out below you, and as soon as I looked at somebody, I lost my balance. I need to find a non-movable focus point  :-)  Petri, can you go whole way down without breaking off the other leg??? :) I think I need to get the hip more flexible for being able to get whole way down. 

Petri Widsten
1 hour ago, Suzanna McGee said:

Thanks, @Petri Widsten and @Maksis Riley… I didn't even realize I was not extending fully. I was fighting the booty to fall down, that was my only focus to keep it up. Tomorrow I will work on fully extending my legs. Yea, the PE's balance was tricky. This stretching area is upstairs and you see all the people working out below you, and as soon as I looked at somebody, I lost my balance. I need to find a non-movable focus point  :-)  Petri, can you go whole way down without breaking off the other leg??? :) I think I need to get the hip more flexible for being able to get whole way down. 

20160225_123639_001_20441.jpg

You're right, you need a certain flexibility and balancing is tricky but breaking a leg is optional :-)

Suzanna McGee

Oh maaaaaaan, now when I see you can do it, I will definitely try it too :) and eventually do it too. Now the question is: did you get up smoothly from this??  ;-) 

Petri Widsten
24 minutes ago, Suzanna McGee said:

Oh maaaaaaan, now when I see you can do it, I will definitely try it too :) and eventually do it too. Now the question is: did you get up smoothly from this??  ;-) 

Sure, I used to do them for reps. Pistols are all the I've done recently as far as SLS is concerned.

 

Andrey Kruglykhin

How deep the hawaiian squat should be? I try to touch my heel with the opposite glute on every repetition ("deep hawaiian squat"?) while the videos require to go down to 90 degrees knee bend only: is it still the right hawaiian squat?

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Andrey, well the mastery requirements are what it is showed in the video. if you can do more I assume you have a good hip mobility. well you are lucky!!

Kai Ewert

Andrey that's great if you can go that deep. I'd say master at 90 degrees and move on, and then you can keep the Hawaiian squat in your warmup to maintain that nice hip flexibility. To increase the hip mobility challenge, try a "turtle squat": from a deep Hawaiian squat, lift your ankle off your knee and move to a regular squat (you may want to come onto the balls of the foot to make this work). Then reverse the movement. 

Andrey Kruglykhin
3 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Andrey, well the mastery requirements are what it is showed in the video. if you can do more I assume you have a good hip mobility. well you are lucky!!

thanks a lot!!

Andrey Kruglykhin
2 hours ago, Kai Ewert said:

Andrey that's great if you can go that deep. I'd say master at 90 degrees and move on, and then you can keep the Hawaiian squat in your warmup to maintain that nice hip flexibility. To increase the hip mobility challenge, try a "turtle squat": from a deep Hawaiian squat, lift your ankle off your knee and move to a regular squat (you may want to come onto the balls of the foot to make this work). Then reverse the movement. 

wow! thanks - will work on that!!