Where is the weak link in this Front Lever?

Started by Santiago Pinzón, October 22, 2016 · 6 Replies · 9,787 Views

Santiago Pinzón

Hello GB! I have being working hard on my front lever for the past months, but as you can see below, I cant quite straighten my body yet. I can hold this position for about 3 seconds, and do not really feel much strain in it. I don't know if what's holding me back is my scapula strength or the strength in my core (glutes and lower back to extend the hips more). Where do you think I should focus on? Thank you for your help!

Captura de pantalla 2016-10-22 a la(s) 10.21.07 a.m..png

Léo Aïtoulha

Clearly a lack of core strength. I recommend you to strongly prepare your core before attempting any kind of FL specific exercises. You should master the Hollow Body Old and the Body Lever first. You will find more info in the Foundation One training program.

Alessandro Mainente

The weak point it is the lats, since front lever it is lats dominant. if you cannot hold the hips at shoulder level you are not generating enough strength to balance the leverage.

Santiago Pinzón

@Léo Aïtoulha Yes, I think I am going to add more supplementary work for my core as in the past I have fallen into the mentality of "never train your core but only the positions", but I think that is now holding me back.

@Alessandro Mainente Yes that makes sense, my lats are not strong enough to take my body being more straight and with more leverage. Would you suggest doing a lot of sets with my 3 secs front lever or going back a progression and going for longer holds/fewer sets?

Alessandro Mainente

I suggest to move a lot on easier progression.

Jon Douglas

Ale is all over it as always. Lats, best addressed by volume on basics :)

Daniel Andonov
On 22.10.2016 г. at 7:36 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

The weak point it is the lats, since front lever it is lats dominant. if you cannot hold the hips at shoulder level you are not generating enough strength to balance the leverage.

Recently I understood that too.Not saying core its not important in these moves, but not so.You have some distance x mass, which creates some downward momentum.And in order to counterbalance the lever, you have to apply the same counter-force.In the case is with the lats.Its simple physic.