This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/SE1 (Half L-sit) + iM

Started by Petri Widsten, October 19, 2016 · 12 Replies · 117 Views

Petri Widsten

I can't train the various leg raises yet (should get stall bars by the end of the year) so meanwhile I'm starting with the next block of MN elements tomorrow. I think the SE will go nicely after my Russian dip training to get more triceps work in.

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Petri,

The PE looks really good. When you initiated the iM, your knees looked like they bent slightly. Keep more tension in your legs and try to lift as high as possible. Really work to compress. Also, while the stahl bars are pending, continue to refine your basic exercies and still work on PE4 from the pull-up bar. I fear you may plateau if you stick to training this movement before mastering all of the HLL variations. There is a lot to be gained from the HLL exercsies and their iM's. 

Petri Widsten

Hi Everett

Thanks for the feedback. I was making good progress on PE6 some months ago at a gym that has stall bars. Back to my own gym now I've been training FL/PE10 instead. I really want to get to HLLs and WWs, however. Their benefits are clear.

Regarding the iM, can my hands be closer to my knees or is that the right distance? And should the palms be on the floor or are fingers enough?

Kai Ewert

@Alessandro Mainente told me to put palms on the floor, not fingers. You might want to adjust the hand position a bit for now so you can get a bigger lift and feel the movement. 

You could use a stability ball between your back and the wall for now while hanging from your pullup bar for HLLs. 

The L-sit variations do add depression and retraction into the picture, so if you can handle them I'd say keep doing them as well.

Petri Widsten

Hi Kai

Today I did pike pulses with fingers on floor (video below). Next time I'll try with palms down but closer to the body. I'll wait for the stall bars to resume HLL training. The concrete foundation is already there so now I just need a tradesman to get the thing installed. By L-sit variations, do you mean MN/SE2 and 3? I did floor L-sits before starting Foundation so I should be able to handle them.

There were a couple of messages here from Leo Trinidad and Alessandro di Sanzo that vanished. Leo, I guess you wanted to see the SE from another angle so here comes. Alessandro, thanks for posting the link to your thread on MN/SE3 (awesome progress btw, well done!)

 

Kai Ewert

Anything starting with the tuck L sit MN/SE1 I'd call L-sit variations/progressions. I realized when I posted my form checks that the L-sits as per GB are a different animal from your usual L-sit which has few rigorous standards. 

As per Cole Dano in a thread where I asked for a form check, you want your hips higher than the support bars throughout, that's what the request for the side view was probably about. That really forces you to depress strongly when combined with the "chest up" requirement.

 

Petri Widsten
13 minutes ago, Kai Ewert said:

Anything starting with the tuck L sit MN/SE1 I'd call L-sit variations/progressions. I realized when I posted my form checks that the L-sits as per GB are a different animal from your usual L-sit which has few rigorous standards. 

As per Cole Dano in a thread where I asked for a form check, you want your hips higher than the support bars throughout, that's what the request for the side view was probably about. That really forces you to depress strongly when combined with the "chest up" requirement.

 

If you don't have good depression on the floor for the full L-sit you'll never even get your butt and feet off the floor at the same time. There's little clearance and the floor is truly unforgiving. Yes, you absolutely need rigorous standards - in this case because a solid L-sit is just a major step on the way to greater things.

Leo Trinidad

It would help if you video in a better angle so we can check the form better. ;)

Petri Widsten
4 hours ago, Leo Trinidad said:

It would help if you video in a better angle so we can check the form better. ;)

What angle would you prefer, Leo?

Petri Widsten

@Everett Carroll@Leo Trinidad@Alessandro Mainente

Which of the pike pulse versions is better? The previous one with the fingers down or this one with palms down? Perceived effort is similar.

I started the SE with 5 x 30s. Although I didn't feel it in my abs/hip flexors at the time, it killed my SL/PE10 reps that followed. 

 

Suzanna McGee

@Petri Widsten I think it just needs to be from a different angle :):)

Petri Widsten
10 minutes ago, Suzanna McGee said:

@Petri Widsten I think it just needs to be from a different angle :):)

☺☺ Probably....

Alessandro Mainente

Palms down completely on the floor and at knees level. so the exercise needs to be improved.