This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Swivel Hips

Started by Tony Comer, October 17, 2016 · 4 Replies · 301 Views

Tony Comer

I'm "trying" to do the swivel hips, but only have a couple of inches range of motion if I keep the proper form..Meaning opposite butt on the ground...You'll see in pics below, it looks as if I'm not even trying. In order to get my knees to the ground, I basically have to twist into pretzel shape. I've got FAI with both CAM and Pincher impingements along with partial labrum tears in both hips. I'm looking at have my hips scoped next year to grind down the impingement and reattached, or rebuild the labrum...Had new MRI's last week and will talk to doc tomorrow about next steps.

Anyone have any suggestions about other types of supplement work that specifically targets those area's or do you think I'm "stuck" until/after surgery? 

Tony

Left leg twist.JPG

Left leg.JPG

Right leg twist.JPG

Right leg.JPG

Everett Carroll

Hi Tony,

I do not have any recommendations regarding your specifc injuries as those are beyond my scope. Contintue to consult your doctor to address those issues. 

For the swivel hip execution, keep your glutes planted on the ground. If you need more of a stretch, you can gently push down on your knees to increase ROM. These were very tough for me too but the middle split stretch series really helped. Consider purchasing that series if you haven't already. It remains as a staple for me. 

Tony Comer

Thanks Everett....The 2nd and 4th pics above are as far as I can go while keeping glutes on the ground...Maybe an inch or two of movement on either side...Will keep at it

Richard Sassoon

Hei Tony, I'm not familiar with your injuries but you could try some things other people found useful for this iM. There was a recent post about it recently and Coach had some nice tips here :

 

Tony Comer

Not so good news from doc...He said both hips were too far gone to even consider having them scoped and that replacement is my only surgical option. Meeting with another doc that specializes in the anterior mini hip replacement style in early Dec here in Houston...Will start with left hip and see how it goes. On the bright side, I just had neck and back surgery and will soon have both hips replaced, so I should be a pretty good case study in the effectiveness of the Gymnastic Bodies program in rehab broken peeps. :)