This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

9 weeks difference

Started by Suzanna McGee, October 17, 2016 · 37 Replies · 913 Views

Julia Quigley

Suzanna, have you tried getting into the bridge on the ground and then walking your feet up the stall bars/onto a box, etc.? 

My triceps aren't strong enough to push into a bridge with my feet elevated, so I get into a bridge on the floor and then place on foot on the stall bars. Then the other. And continue up until I'm the right height. 

Maybe you're already doing this.

Suzanna McGee
7 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Suzanna, it is ok to do some test in order to see improvements BUT for you now you should pass the most of the time on refining the elevated bridge.

Alessandro, I still cannot lift my butt into the elevated bridge. I am trying each Sunday with all the tips you gave me and nothing. So irritating :) This week my new stall bars are coming for my home and as soon as they are installed, I will do the version with the rubber band that you suggested. Possibly try even what @Julia Quigley says, to start on the ground and walk my feet higher up. (Julia, I am still not able to walk my feet up. Like there is no strength to lift one foot of the ground). With the rubber band help, which will make my body "lighter" maybe it all will work together. 

Once I can elevate, I will do just those bridges, according to the program. These from the ground I do just so I would do at least some bridges, rather than nothing. I hope next Sunday I will post an Elevated progress on my new stall bars. :) 

Alessandro Mainente

I know what about lift in a floor bridge and then move the feet over the pole of a stall bar while arms are still straight? fro sure as you move over the poles you need to walk a bit closer to the stall bar.

Also you can consider to kick up into an handstand very close to the stall bar and simply move away.

Suzanna McGee
On October 31, 2016 at 2:03 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

I know what about lift in a floor bridge and then move the feet over the pole of a stall bar while arms are still straight? fro sure as you move over the poles you need to walk a bit closer to the stall bar.

Also you can consider to kick up into an handstand very close to the stall bar and simply move away.

Alessandro, I am still only at PE8 in my handstands, so it doesn't work, but the rubber band option, that you suggested worked! I did my TBS on Sunday. I used my new stall bars, hooked the band to it, and yay, I was able to elevate!!! (even scared the dog with my "yay" :) ). Now this is my first try in the video (was worried that maybe I wouldn't be able to repeat it again),  so it looks very shaky. But at least I am up and can start working on making it better. I think you would suggest higher feet, straighter knees, and more vertical arms, yes? Anything else you see in the video that I should think of? I am going to work on the elevated version from now and on. Now when I can :) thank you for all your previous assistance and patience. 

 

Mikey Cunanan
3 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

Alessandro, I am still only at PE8 in my handstands, so it doesn't work, but the rubber band option, that you suggested worked! I did my TBS on Sunday. I used my new stall bars, hooked the band to it, and yay, I was able to elevate!!! (even scared the dog with my "yay" :) ). Now this is my first try in the video (was worried that maybe I wouldn't be able to repeat it again),  so it looks very shaky. But at least I am up and can start working on making it better. I think you would suggest higher feet, straighter knees, and more vertical arms, yes? Anything else you see in the video that I should think of? I am going to work on the elevated version from now and on. Now when I can :) thank you for all your previous assistance and patience. 

 

Hey @Suzanna McGee excellent modification and execution! :) what has also helped is to get the feet higher so you can better target through upper back. Also pushing the chest forward at the top will greatly increase the stretch. 

Alessandro Mainente

I think that also the dog was impressed so much!!!

btw where you begin to be comfortable with the position remember to correct the hands position, this mean:

-stay neutral and do not internally rotate the arm, this can be easily solved by putting the fingers on the stallbar direction

-reduce the hands distance, of course this can leads to the necessity to move the feet higher of one pole

Remember to exit the position with a super slow bridge push up eccentric.

Suzanna McGee

@Alessandro Mainente thank you, will work on all your tips! I think my dog is more impressed with food than with my elevated bridge :) 

Suzanna McGee

It's been 16 months since I attempted the bridge from the floor and I just did one for fun and to see the difference after doing the TBS regularly. I have not missed a week since I started  :-)  It is a slightly different angle, but it is visible that the shoulders or so much more open in the current, 16 months later, photo. Yay.

 

bridge 9 weeks difference 2016.jpg

Bridge 16 months difference 2018.jpg

Keilani Gutierrez

good going :) 

Étienne Lajeunesse
4 hours ago, Suzanna McGee said:

It's been 16 months since I attempted the bridge from the floor and I just did one for fun and to see the difference after doing the TBS regularly. I have not missed a week since I started  :-)  It is a slightly different angle, but it is visible that the shoulders or so much more open in the current, 16 months later, photo. Yay.

 

bridge 9 weeks difference 2016.jpg

Bridge 16 months difference 2018.jpg

Wow! Really nice improvements! Your shoulders are really more opened . Good job :)

Jonas Berglund
On 2016-11-09 at 8:40 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

 

Remember to exit the position with a super slow bridge push up eccentric.

Hi Alessandro, this was intressting. Whats the reasoning for exiting the bridge in this manner?

 

i remember 10ish years ago doing stretching after  martial arts classes, our sensei often told us to Exit stretches slowly. I thought this was just an old myth. Maybe it has something valuable for it still? 

Alessandro Mainente
3 hours ago, Jonas Berglund said:

Hi Alessandro, this was intressting. Whats the reasoning for exiting the bridge in this manner?

 

i remember 10ish years ago doing stretching after  martial arts classes, our sensei often told us to Exit stretches slowly. I thought this was just an old myth. Maybe it has something valuable for it still? 

Simply you can build up additional strength for the nearly future so that pushing into the bridge became easier.

Jin Liu
5 hours ago, Jonas Berglund said:

Hi Alessandro, this was intressting. Whats the reasoning for exiting the bridge in this manner?

 

i remember 10ish years ago doing stretching after  martial arts classes, our sensei often told us to Exit stretches slowly. I thought this was just an old myth. Maybe it has something valuable for it still? 

Interesting! I found I had to exit some deep hamstring stretch slowly or I’ll break something. Just my feel. 

As for bridge, maybe I’m used to the position I train in, and pressing up is not a problem. I crash out of it when exit. Never hurt me, but maybe I should be smarter about it...

And good job @Suzanna McGee. That’s solid improvement!!