This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

JCurls and Pelvic Tilt

Started by Felipe Garcia Rosa, October 16, 2016 · 6 Replies · 305 Views

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hey there,

From the technique videos I didn't understand fully if I should maintain a PPT through out the whole exercise or only at the beginning, then switching to APT.

In addition, from the front split stretch series, I understood that one should maintain an APT to enhance hamstrings stretch and also put less stress on your lower back. Would this mean that JCurls will stress my lower back (by doing PPT)?

Thanks,

Feli

Note: I had some small disc protuberance 4 years ago. So far so good.

Coach Sommer

Hi Felipe,

There is no APT during jefferson curls, PPT only.

Of course jefferson curls will stress your lower back, that is the point of the exercise.  Simply be careful not forcing range of motion and starting with as little as 1-2kg resistance.  Although some people find the weight of their torso sufficient to start with.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Hey Coach,

Thanks for your response. Not forcing ROM means going as down as you can go without discomfort in the lower back?

Thanks,

Feli

Michael George 192636

Remember, this is mobility. Strengthening and stretching each vertebra in a vulnerable position as we roll down and then back up. Slowly. That's what I'm doing. It just takes a little weight, or none, at first to help get each joint in the spine to move again. I'm finding as I get more mobile along the spine, this new range of motion is so weak I've had to spend some time with no weight at all. Gradually my spine is moving more. I love it when it pops occasionally like someone cracking their knuckles.

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Michael,

That's a great way to start. Keep working on it and you'll see yourself improve!

Steven Gilmore

I concentrate on holding PPT until my back can bend no more then I bend at the hips. It feels the complete opposite of the years of 'keep your back flat' during rows etc. i started with an empty bar and it felt super dodgy and am now up to 17.5kg on the bar after 4 months and it feels strong. I too have had a ruptured disk, so I go really careful and slow on the bottom stretch part.

Felipe Garcia Rosa

Thanks to all for the advices! I did great on first attempts with no weight, I focused on tight legs, PPT, and lifting from the bottom position only by using my core with PPT.