This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE10

Started by Jin Liu, October 16, 2016 · 10 Replies · 196 Views

Jin Liu

I have a feeling i'm not getting the essence of this exercise. Am i rotating too much the upper torso instead of focusing on rotating at the waist only? I re-watched the exercise video. That boy def is focusing more on rotating just the waist, but his shoulders also peel off from the bars. So how much degree is tolerable? i also noticed my head is moving with my feet instead of staying forward.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jin, as you have noticed the twist comes for the spine rather then shoulders compensation. try to warm up with a slow russian twist before doing that, it helps on active twist movement.

Jin Liu

Haven't had a chance to go to that park and there's no stall bar around me to use. Does this free hanging 1/2 windshield also count? Should I not progress at all until I get a stall bar or keep progressing, but come back to these once I have a stall bar? 

 

Kai Ewert

It looks like you could work these on the non-stall bar setup for a while with benefits - you should aim to slow them down quite a bit so it is an active movement initiated from the core, rather than storing the swing in your shoulders and using that to reverse the movement

Jin Liu

Thank Kai! Never thought about it that way. I agree I should slow it down to engage the core more. From a mechanic point of view, however, since shoulders are at the mid-point between the anchor (hands) and the twisting end, it's hard to take the shoulders completely out of the equation when the bottom (with legs out in an L shape) is twisting from side to side. You gave me an idea. I wonder what it feels like if I can make the shoulders the anchor point...

Kai Ewert

Even the course video has some movement in the shoulders, but there are some reps where he essentially stops in the front, so that the movement has to be restarted from the core rather than letting the momentum coming out of one side carry him over to the other side. Both stopping and re-initiating the movement requires oblique action. I think that's worth playing with for a bit. The next PE is a big step up from this one...

Jin Liu

The next PE is a huge step up from this one... I'll stick with this one for a while, and the negative toes to bar from the manna progression as well. 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jin I prefer to limit as much as you can the shoulders movement in order to maximize the movement from the spine.

Jin Liu

Saw in one of coach Sommer's reply to someone else's post that the dorsal grip can help reduce the shoulder action in leg raises. I gave it a try for this element. I think it's effective in reducing the shoulder range (?), and also my leg range, lol. But that's the result of me not twisting enough from the waist (which I'm trying to improve). Unless there's a safety issue I'm not aware of, I'm going to practice this exercise in the dorsal grip more now (and slow it down more). 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jin the observation about not twisting from the waist has a pretty natural reaction from me: that is completely normal. 

remember that the range of motion of the t-spine and it is lowering to zero as you move to the hips level.

Nicholas Murray

Jin, imagine you have headlights on your shoulders and on your hips. Keep the shoulder headlights pointing forwards, and slowly swing the hip headlights from side to side.

Try PE10 with your knees bent a couple of times - the movement will be easier. Then straighten the legs.