I have just purchased the middle split stretch series and this is the only thing I am currently working on apart from the daily limber exercises to maintain basic mobility. I am saving up for some stall bars in my home while also applying to medical school which is ungodly expensive...anyways, I'm not doing foundation 1 just yet so if there are recommendations in there on how to advance through the video series, i have not seen it. So here's my question: there is a long list of videos - how do i do this...should I do each video in one session and work on improving my form for each video every time i do the whole set, or should i focus on video 1 until i have gotten some basic mastery before moving on to video two? Thanks ya'll
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Day 1 Question
Started by Richard Laye, October 15, 2016 · 15 Replies · 317 Views
My impression after browsing through the forum a bit more is that I should be attempting the whole video set once per week, with scaling as necessary.
That's it, Richard. Follow along with the full video once per week. Use the individual exercise videos and technique tip videos to study the movements before you begin your follow along session. Use a few minutes of light cardio and the daily limber as your warmup for the series.
If I am having some trouble (ahem, I definitely am) getting even close to the proper position for the workouts, should I still be doing them only once per week and allowing whatever changes in the musculature/tendons to happen or is it appropriate to try the scaled back versions a couple of times per week? My guess is that newbies need the recovery time even more than anyone else, so my hunch is you're gonna tell me once per week, no matter how scaled back my positions are, but I wanted to ask explicitly. Thanks for the help!
Just stick to once per week for the follow along videos but practicing getting into the correct position when you are studying the movements is a good idea. Just don't hold them for too long. Treat that practice like the daily limber; it should be nice and light.
Also just starting the stretch series, & had the same question, so thanks for the clarification. I feel like I'm crazy though, bc I can't find any "individual exercise videos and technique tip videos to study," just the single follow-along for each stretch. Advice?
(Attached a screenshot to show they're not showing up like they do for the foundations series on the off chance its not a user-error.)
Hi Joshua,
Individual stretches can be found through your dashboard under the title "Lessons and Progressions". If you select the "Stretch" series icon, it will lead you to where you can find the individual stretches along with technique tips for each exercise.
I purchased the Stretch Series after discovering that flexibility and mobility are my weakest areas during the Fundamentals course (not surprised at all).
After attempting the Middle Split Series, I'm at a loss as to the proper way to proceed. I made it up through 60s Butterfly (MSSSE13). But I had to use the beginner variations on most of these. Once I got to the pancakes, I'm struggling with even the starting positions. My straddle is weak and my hamstrings and hips are really tight. I saw from a response up above that I should attempt the whole 45 minutes series.
My question, however, is that if I struggle in the starting position for the pancakes, should I just hang out there for the specified time (total of 10 minutes) before returning to Butterfly (MSSSE21)? I'm patient, and have committed to GST for the long haul. But I'm wondering if there is something I can do to work on my straddle and pancake progressions, besides the other Middle Split progressions.
Any tips from pros or other beginners with similar issues? During the pancake progression, is there anything else I can do besides elevate my hips on a block to practice those movements and progress from MSSSE14 through MSSSE20 more effectively?
Thanks in advance for your insights.
HI Sebastian, for beginner focus strictly the course.
Elevating the butt ensure a correct positioning and avoid a possible sciatic nerve pinch, we need to absolutely avoid that.
.
Alessandro, thanks for your reply.
I guess what I'm looking for is this: If I can't do the pancake stretches without rounding my back, even elevating the hips with a block, what should I do as a progression during that portion of the series?
In straddle, I am so tight in the lower back and hamstrings, that I struggle just to sit upright with a flat back -- even if elevated on a block. So side to side, crawl, circles, etc. aren't going to happen. What's the baby step in this case?
Hi Sebastian,
Try setting the block next to a wall. You can adjust the distance between the block and the wall to adjust how much stretch you are getting through the hamstrings and lower back. Once you get comfortable sitting upright, you can push against the wall to slowly work your way further into the stretch.
Hello Sebastian,
Easy fix.
If one block is not enough to address the issue, use two. If two is not enough, use three. If three is not enough, use a foot stool. If a footstool is not enough, use a chair. If a chair is not enough, use a barstool. Etc Etc
The main point is to continue elevating the hips until you are able to flatten your back and achieve APT.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
1 hour ago, Coach Sommer said:If a chair is not enough, use a barstool. Etc Etc
And if a barstool is not enough, then just go and have a drink :-D Ha ha, kidding. Listen to the Coach, not to me.
3 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:Hello Sebastian,
Easy fix.
If one block is not enough to address the issue, use two. If two is not enough, use three. If three is not enough, use a foot stool. If a footstool is not enough, use a chair. If a chair is not enough, use a barstool. Etc Etc
The main point is to continue elevating the hips until you are able to flatten your back and achieve APT.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Thanks Coach! That's the kind of solution I was looking for.
This is a great solution. Man Sebastian, I had a similar problem as you. I definitely have had some sitting up tall issues, but it seems like this will improve. Hopefully you have noticed some improvement since you started back around November. ![]()