This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Fundamental Course finished ... How do I proceed

Started by Francesco Macchniz, October 15, 2016 · 5 Replies · 166 Views

Francesco Macchniz

Hi guys

I just finished Fundamentals Course, and I'm doing handstand One, I want to know how to continue ...

 

First I would like to tell you briefly about my situation ...

I was a professional basketball player. Fifteen years ago I suffered a bad shoulder injury, I had a complete dislocation with rupture of ligaments, labrum, long head of the biceps and the joint capsule, the surgery went very well, I continued playing without any problems...

Years later, unfortunately, it has formed a very serious osteoarthritis with a large osteophyte incorporated on the humeral head that causes impicement me and consumes me cartilage and causing pain ..

The surgeon recommends to mobilize my shoulder as much as possible without body burden, and now offered me a surgical cleaning operation, but without guarantee me success and an improvement of symptoms ... So I decided to do nothing…

Despite everything, I train 5 times a week consistently… I have a lot of difficulty ,and more or less pain, in all the extension movements, and movements of Elevation and Depression, if I seek the maximum range of motion .... In other movements I do not have any particular problems…

I am convinced that with your method I can rehabilitate my shoulder, and maybe in the future be able to perform more complex exercises ...

 

Below the video of the Fundamentals Course exercises in which I have more difficulty, for your feedbeck…

VIDEO    https://youtu.be/8dbfRYY1b3M

 

The next courses…  Foundation One? ... Or I look first to improve on the Fundamentals Course gaps? ...

They would also welcome comments from physiotherapists or rehabilitators

Thank you

Everett Carroll

Hey Francesco,

The movements you are struggling with the most are common troublesome areas for students new to GST. I recommend you proceed immediately with Foundation One and the Stretch Courses. These will continue to target those areas in more detail.

Continue to use the daily limber as a warmup. Feel free to also include in your warmup and cooldown the other movements from Fundamentals that you still need to work on. Also consider working with a physio or other medical professional. You want to make sure to continue addressing your specific shoulder injury and any specific limitations that maybe present due to it. 

Here are some execution tips from the video:

-In the kneeling calf stretch, keep your heel planted more firmly into them ground. You may not be able to bring your knee as far forward but it will increase the stretch. The front split stretch series covers this area in more detail. 

-In the arch body hold, make sure to also arch your neck. Bring your head up higher, looking forward or upwards. 

-For the seated shoulder extension stretch within the daily limber, make sure you have your elbows totally locked before moving your hips forward. You may need to bring your hands out a bit wider to lock them. Really open your chest in this stretch and don't worry too much about scooting your hips forward until having your elbows locked feels pretty comfortable. The thoracic bridge stretch course and the handstand one course strongly target this area.

Francesco Macchniz

Thanks Everett


 I try to follow your advice and recommendations...
The course of Foundation One and the Stretch Courses that I have to make are these? .. Https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/cart-2/
Considering that I'm also doing handstand One ...
As I split all workouts in a weekly program?
  
In all the exercises for the extension of my injured shoulder, I have pain, almost always, even when I try feels to be pretty comfortable... I have to continue like this? ...

Thanks

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Francesco, if your shoulder is painful you should limit the range of movement or avoid the painful exercise for a bit.

For now i suggest at least foundations 1 and the thoracic shoulder stretch course in order to reduce your shoulder problem

Francesco Macchniz

Thanks Alessandro,

The problem, unfortunately, is the severe osteoarthritis, and a large osteophyte that causes me pain in all exercises of extension ,elevation and depression...I'll follow your advice.


How can I divide the weekly training sessions, since I will have three courses simultaneously to follow ...
I'll have to double daily workouts, or train two days a week for each course? ...

Everett Carroll

Hi Francesco,

I recommend you work with a physio or other medical professional to address your specific shoulder injury and any limitations that may be present as a result of it.

As for workout structuring, details are provided within the courses but all you have to do is complete each workout once per week, on any day you choose. You have total flexibility to mix and match workouts.