This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Should I move forward with reduced mobility

Started by Alex Hurley, October 14, 2016 · 11 Replies · 469 Views

Alex Hurley

Hi GB,

My question is pretty much in the title. Strength is going well but mobility is falling behind a little, when I've completed a section (PE1 for example) shall I push on without full requirements or hold off??

Thanks in advance 

Alex, UK

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi ALex, nope. the standard of the GB course requires the mastery of both PE and IM before moving forward. If you do not have idea of your current level when PE it already mastered then ask for a form check on the forum.

Jon Douglas

This is the sort of thing that you can get away with, but will always leave that shortfall there. For say RC, not stretching the lats enough with easier drills will leave them insufficently flexible for later mobility work, which will interfere with all your overhead range of motion. There's a purpose behind every frustrating crampin step

Tomas Johansson

I agree with above. Don't ever see the mobility stuff as something that is holding you back. Be thankful that they are there, see them as a safety belt that protects you from yourself. Trust the program in that if you master a mobility element you will not run into problems later in the program. I have done the misstake and I try not to do it again. I spent a lot of time on manna pe2 for instance, without even having the passive flexibility to achive full ROM, how would I then be able to do it actively?

Alex Hurley

Thanks to all for the replies. So with this is in mind how should I structure the strength elements? Start that PE again??

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Alex,

Since the strength element is no problem, remain on step 9 and select the 'Lack Mobility' smiley face until it is at mastery level.  

Coach Sommer

Hi Alex,

I would run step 9 for at least another 3 weeks.  If at that time, you are still struggling with swivel hips, I would drop back to step 1 and begin remedial work to address the swivel hip mobility deficiency.

An simple fix for most people is to perform resisted swivel hips.  These are easily done: just place a hand on each knee providing resistance.  For the externally rotating hip the hand will be on the outside of the knee, for the internally rotating hip the hand will be on the inside of the knee.

Be sure to maintain good form and to keep the pressure throughout the entire range of motion.  Adjust the pressure as needed as the strength strength curve diminishes at end range of motion, but keep the movement smooth and steady.  No jerking or pauses.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alex Hurley

Thanks to all for the advice.

Coach, the resisted mobility work you described, is that like PNF?? 

ALEX

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Alex, PNF requires to stretch muscles that are opposed to range of motion improvements, here you are squeezing the muscles that promotes range of movement improvements. it is an efficient way to improve the active mobility necessary fro swivel hips.

Coach Sommer

Hi Alex,

Not particularly, although you could integrate PNF sections into the movement.  PNF is resisting and maintaining a static position while force is applied.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alexander Egebak
9 hours ago, Alex Hurley said:

Thanks to all for the advice.

Coach, the resisted mobility work you described, is that like PNF?? 

ALEX

Alex, what coach Sommer is talking about is utilizing resistance to have the muscles contract at the end range of motion. Long story short after doing these contractions you will briefly be able to enter a deeper stretch due to some of the muscle fiber's lingering time in terms of reactivation. Since flexibility is neurologically founded you are tricking the brain into a deeper stretch, and the deeper you reach the faster your flexibility will progress.

In addition to that you develop strength at the end range of motion with the added resistance!

Alex Hurley

Many thanks everyone. 

ALEX