This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE6>iM - can't come close

Started by Whit Lanier, October 14, 2016 · 5 Replies · 151 Views

Whit Lanier

Hello.  I've been chugging along with the handstand progressions.  My HS/PE5>iM (which I think is a plain old dislocate) is OK, but not great.  Maybe I shouldn't progress from that until it is mastered, but I have a feeling I'll still encounter this problem...  

When I try to do HS/PE6>iM, I can't get anywhere close to getting the bar overhead.  I'm wondering if I should use a band to try to progress towards this range of motion?  If not, how can I bridge the gap that I currently have?  

thanks

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Whit can you post a video of the IM6? and please IM1 and IM2? thanks

Whit Lanier

Hi Alessandro,

well - I filmed the things you requested, and they're ugly.  But in the interest of progress, here they are... (I couldn't quickly figure out how to embed, so they're links):

IM1 & 2:

 

IM6:

 

And in case it helps, IM5 (unweighted):

 

I know my grip is pretty wide on everything.  I won't do any other self-critiquing, and I welcome your input.  If I can do the PE for a certain step just fine, but I'm not close on the accompanying IM, what am I supposed to do?  Just stay at that step until I master the mobility?  

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Whit, as I was suspecting you did not reached the standard required to move on on both IM1 and IM2.

On IM1 : grip too wide that actually leads to partially dislocated, that it is something we want to avoid.

on IM2: grip too wide and you have to reached the required 90° angle at the shoulders.

for you it is certainly a limitation because the previous elements are not mastered. for this reason before moving on we alway suggest to post a form check on the forum.

Whit Lanier

OK, thank you.  But if I"m failing at "step 1," can you point me to any kind of progression for IM1?  Especially if I shouldn't just start with a wide grip and work on narrowing it?  

Alessandro Mainente

The progression follows the following schema:

-begin with a grip a low weight (0.5 kg) that allows you to perform the desired rom for the prescribed seconds

-when it will be easier, decrease the width and work this way until you reach almost shoulder width

-then increase the weight of 0.5-1 kg and begin again testing the width where you can hold the bar with the prescribed rom,no matter if you do not reach the 10 '' immediately, you will do.