This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Body weight squats

Started by Malcolm Watters, October 13, 2016 · 4 Replies · 209 Views

Malcolm Watters

So I'm on the third week of foundations 1.  The lower body portion is squats to parallel.  Is there a reason they stop at parallel or is it just a build up to a full squat?  And if I'm capable of doing a full (all the way down) squat should I?

Mark Collins

It is an easier progression. If they are easy and you can do the iM then test for mastery and move on to the next level.

Malcolm Watters
6 hours ago, Mark Collins said:

It is an easier progression. If they are easy and you can do the iM then test for mastery and move on to the next level.

I see, yea I didn't really mean to imply that it's too easy.  I just know a lot of people that are too tight to squat all the way down.  I would prefer to stay on schedule so I can continue with the mobility portion also.  I was just curious if there was any reason I shouldn't just go all the way down with my squats.  Do the same reps just don't stop at parallel 

Coach Sommer

Hi Malcolm,

Yes, there is a reason.  Strength is not usually the issue, however the lack of mobility generally is.  Until you have mastered the assigned mobility, do not progress onward to the next PE.

In order to make consistent, long term progress, it is vitally important to learn to put first things first.  In this instance, this means focusing on repairing mobility deficits first.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Malcolm Watters
1 hour ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Malcolm,

Yes, there is a reason.  Strength is not usually the issue, however the lack of mobility generally is.  Until you have mastered the assigned mobility, do not progress onward to the next PE.

In order to make consistent, long term progress, it is vitally important to learn to put first things first.  In this instance, this means focusing on repairing mobility deficits first.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Great coach, I will stick with the videos.  I got a feeling they are gonna be kicking my butt before long.