This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Weight gain

Started by Kelby O'Shea, October 13, 2016 · 8 Replies · 191 Views

Kelby O'Shea

Hi Jeff,

First I want to say that I'm on my second week of water goal two and i'm feeling a big difference in energy and wellbeing from it - really great. I have ditched half the caffeine I used to consume on working days, finding that getting the water in has left me feeling fine without and coffee or tea after my morning cup.

I'm just wondering if it is common to experience weight gain after more or less doubling the water intake? I know that sufficient hydration helps with fat loss but it seems that in the short term I've put on a couple of kilograms of body weight. When can I expect this to reverse if at all?

My main reason for asking is that I have a 6 month goal to get from 113kg to 98kg body weight so that I can compete in my first BJJ competition at super heavyweight. My hope is that by following Thrive diligently I can accomplish this goal - at my lowest body fat I've never had a flat stomach. In my 31st year of life I'm committed to making it happen for the first time! But now that my goal includes a fighting weight, I need to be conscious of the way hydration levels and caloric intake effect body weight.

Thanks!

Kelby.

Jeff Serven

1 gallon of water weigh 8.3 pounds. If you are "more hydrated" then you have more water in your body. I would say that is the wrong weight to be worried about. 

Kelby O'Shea

 

Indeed! @Jeff Serven

Certainly not worried - just curious what the trajectory tends to look like over time. Actually, maybe my question should be this: is my goal realisic? I am happy to reset my goal further away if it is simply going to take time to drop that amount of weight while also focussing on performance. I am mindful of the FB post from GB that I just read where a guy took 4 years to transform his body. I mean, the goal sounds nice in my head but I just plucked it from midair. It isn't based on anything other than vain desires.

Jeff Serven

Thats almost 1kg a week. Its doable but very tough. It would have to be top priority and an expected performance loss(relative). How tall are you?

Jon Douglas

As Jeff indicates Leo didn't focus on body composition; it was a side benefit :)

Kelby O'Shea

@Jeff Serven I'm tall - 187cms, which is 6 feet 1 inches I think. 

I'm not sure I want to sacrifice performance - one of my other goals is to be able to join the Jiujitsu competition training after regular training twice a week. This would in effect be adding 2 hours of quite high intensity work to my existing schedule. I'm just waiting for my core strength and thoracic mobility to improve to the point where I am less likely to become injured.

Jeff Serven

Kelby, 

I hate to give negative news but at your height you just have too much non-fat mass(think bone, guts and the such) to loose that kind of weight and not be a walking zombie during the process. But, you can make really awesome progress in appearance and performance. 

 

 

Kelby O'Shea

Thanks for the reality check @Jeff Serven I'll stick with the program and adjust my goals to focus on performance rather than a goal weight. I guess I'll be rolling in the open division!

Jeff Serven

For a while but you will get to the Super class with time and an increase in performance