This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How often should I be doing GST?

Started by Benjamin Cipperley Cipperley, October 12, 2016 · 3 Replies · 405 Views

Benjamin Cipperley Cipperley

I've scoured the Forum looking for an answer to this question, but I've come up empty so I am putting my first post out there. 

I recently stopped all heavy lifting after a pretty significant wrist injury, mostly due to mobility limitations in my shoulders causing excessive stress on the extremity joints.  I shifted over to doing strictly GST (I've owned Foundations 1 and Handstand 1) for almost a year, but have not done the work with any consistency.  I've started back now doing complete F7 work 3x per week and supplementing the off days with handstand work and Stretch courses (one day for each).  Since the work is pretty easy in the beginning, I feel like I can handle doing it every 48 hours, but I know it will get significantly more difficult as I move through the requirements.  My question is: Is there a "best" program for progressing through Foundations One (i.e. at least X times per week).  Once per week checks the block, but I can definitely do more.  I also don't want to overdo it though.

Also, I am doing each stretch course 1x per week (one on each non-GST day).  I am wondering though if I should concentrate on one (say Middle Split) more often and then as my flexibility improves incorporate the others, or stick with the even peanut butter spread approach.

Thanks in advance,

Ben Cipperley

Coach Sommer

Hi Benjamin,

F7 three times per week is a great deal of volume for someone at your level.

Begin with consistently performing each of the new primary workouts once per week.  By consistently I mean three weeks in a row without interruption to evaluate how your body is tolerating the workload.

After that you may do one F7 per week and two other shorter workouts of Core/Lower one day and then Upper on another.

I do not recommend focusing on one stretch course at a time; this is akin to saying you are going to focus on pressing exercises first and then once you are good at pressing, you will incorporate pulling exercises into your workout structure.  

Why would you train part of your body and ignore the rest?  The same applies to stretching.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Benjamin Cipperley Cipperley

Thanks, Coach.  I have implemented your recommended schedule with my Foundations and Stretch courses and actually have seen better results from less volume.  Looking forward to the long-term journey with you!

Pauline Taube

Keep us posted on your mobility gains Benjamin :D