This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Splits status!

Started by Julia Quigley, October 12, 2016 · 4 Replies · 116 Views

Julia Quigley

Hi all! I didn't take "before" splits pictures (shame on me!) but when I bought this course a couple months ago I was close to sitting in a front split, but not quite there and form wasn't great. 

I gained what flexibility I had in ballet as a teenager, so back when I did have a front split, it was with my back leg turned out rather than a "true"split like a gymnast does it.

I tested my splits now after today's FS session and I'm so pleased with the progress! This split felt very comfortable and it's the most internally rotated I've been able to get my back leg. YAY.  

Looking forward to getting better every week, and maybe one day getting an over split :)

IMG_8103.PNG

IMG_8104.PNG

Alessandro Mainente

Not bad Julia, btw you tend to present the typical compensation of a tight (only a bit ;)) hips flexor.

In order to avoid that you have to square the hips, to make it more clear, adjust the hip position/rotation so the the backward leg it is completely facing down especially the knee.

Julia Quigley

Right there with you. That's my goal. Right now, If I keep my hips square and my back knee to the ground, I can't make it all the way down.

But I'm keeping at it with last two hip flexor stretches in the series (and trying to do them sometimes during the week too). 

I'll post again next time I see some gains.

Alessandro Mainente

It is normal that without compensation the range of motion is reduced, but right now you are moving the stretch over the adductors.

John Kiggundu

Great work Julia. What I've noticed with the stretches is that when you get a breakthrough of some sort, it just becomes "a matter of time" before the final outcome is reached.