This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Dead Hangs - What am I doing?

Started by Kevin Easton, October 12, 2016 · 3 Replies · 271 Views

Kevin Easton

I have some shoulder issues from the wear and tear of my youth as well as weight lifting and refusal to stretch.

I have had an MRI on my left shoulder as well as ultrasound.  Nothing in there that's operable, some calcification.

My right shoulder, I don't know what the hell I did to it.  Went for an ultrasound and nothing really located.  I found doing pressing movement hurt the front of my shoulder, but also got pain in the back of my shoulder.

I have taken a long time off from lifting and that seemed to help, I can now press pain free.  HOWEVER, my shoulder movement is full of snaps, crackles, and pops.  I have been working on shoulder extension stretching, dislocates, and xiaopang stretch.   My shoulder mobility is so horrible I can't do most of the Thorasic bridge stretches.  I am far away and getting myself to "normal" let alone good mobility.

When I started doing dead hangs from a chin up bar I was getting a pinching feeling in my right shoulder.  It almost feels like a freezing sensation.

Part of the issue I have is trying to relax and let myself and lower into the stretch. 

I feel like the stretches + the dead hangs are helping, but what is the idea behind the dead hangs?

You know when you feel like something is good for you, but you don't know why?  I am having one of those moments, what's going on in the shoulder with these dead hangs?

Coach Sommer

Hi Kevin,

Dead hangs are simply loaded shoulder flexion; nothing more.  The sound effects are fine as long as there is no pain or grinding of the joint involved.

Do not be overly concerned about the current state of your shoulder mobility.  Just be consistent and patient is doing your corrective work.  Above all - DO NOT attempt to force or hurry things along.

The good news is that there is no structural damage.  It did however take time to damage your R.O.M. and it is going to take time to correct it.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Patrick Rentz
1 hour ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Kevin,

Dead hangs are simply loaded shoulder flexion; nothing more.  The sound effects are fine as long as there is no pain or grinding of the joint involved.

Do not be overly concerned about the current state of your shoulder mobility.  Just be consistent and patient is doing your corrective work.  Above all - DO NOT attempt to force or hurry things along.

The good news is that there is no structural damage.  It did however take time to damage your R.O.M. and it is going to take time to correct it.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

To echo Coach, dead hangs can be very uncomfortable without ROM - I've experienced the same thing as you. It's something you think is easy because, well, you're just hanging (and you should be able to do it - any child can do it no problem), but you are basically using your entire bodyweight to force your shoulder into a position you haven't used in a long time. I used to get the exact same feeling in my right shoulder whether it's a dead hang with hands at shoulder width, or a dumbbell press with straight arms, straight above my head.

The Handstand series have been helping me in addition to the thoracic bridge series. The HS series ease you into some shoulder mobilities with very little weight.

Kevin Easton
22 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hi Kevin,

Dead hangs are simply loaded shoulder flexion; nothing more.  The sound effects are fine as long as there is no pain or grinding of the joint involved.

Do not be overly concerned about the current state of your shoulder mobility.  Just be consistent and patient is doing your corrective work.  Above all - DO NOT attempt to force or hurry things along.

The good news is that there is no structural damage.  It did however take time to damage your R.O.M. and it is going to take time to correct it.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks for the reply Coach!

I have a long long way to go, but I am plugging along.