This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder External Rotation

Started by Mike Bowerman, October 11, 2016 · 1 Replies · 140 Views

Mike Bowerman

I have noticed I have limited external rotation in my shoulders, and am wondering if there are exercises to correct this?

I have both Foundations 1 and Handstand 1 and 2, and the various dislocate progressions seem like they would challenge external rotation, but if there are additional mobility exercises I am interested in learning them. Currently, I do not do shoulder dislocates because when I try they cause pain in the medial aspect of my wrist, and I would like to get past this in order to benefit from shoulder dislocates, and eventually from weighted shoulder dislocates.

Everett Carroll

Hi Mike,

Stick to the HS/PE1>iM for now while continuing to delicately and patiently increase your wrist flexibility and strength. Your wrists should be better prepared by the time you reach the first dislocate variation. It is never a bad idea to have a physio take a look at your wrist to ensure safe progress. 

The mobilities in F1 will also help loosen up your shoulders (especially the HBP>iM's) and the thoracic bridge stretch series will fill in the rest of the shoulder mobility gaps. I recommend getting that stretch course ASAP and performing the series once per week.