Hi Everyone,
I have been doing GST for a little over 2 months, and my strength gains have been fairly linear. However, that last few weeks I have hit a wall with HBP PE2 step 5. On one of Coach Sommer's talks with Tim Ferriss, they discussed someone (I think Mats Trane?) who would go back to the previous steps and re-complete them. Would it be a good idea to go back to HBP PE1 Step 8/9 before trying to get past HBP PE2 step 5 again? Thanks for your time!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Hitting a wall on HBP PE2 step 5
Started by Nicholas Camic, October 11, 2016 · 11 Replies · 305 Views
HI Nicholas my personal suggestion in these cases if a certain set x resp is held more then 2 consecutive sessions with the same equal effort, I SAID the same you need to change something. My preference it is to add another set at the end with the goal of perform some more reps in total.
so if you did for 2 consecutive session
3,3,3,1 and then 3,3,3,1 you can evaluate to do one set after the 4th.
Hi Nicholas,
I agree with Alessandro. Keep working on it. As for restarting the foundations, I restart everything to PE1 and retest mastery but I only do it if i get stuck with multiple elements.
Best is to follow Alessandro's advise.
What i am doing with this specific element, is warm up with one set of PE1 (12-15reps with hand at hip height), then PE2 at my current step, then i go for 1-2 sets of "PE1,5" (hands at knee height).
Thanks for the feedback everyone. To clarify on Alessandro's reply, I just stay at the same step and add another set to get more reps? Sounds good to me. Thanks again.
I really like the synergy between the sPL and HBP progressions. I think the forearm planks and above can really help with the pushups (especially because most people like me are not used to strong protraction at the top of the gymnastics push up which really takes a lot out of you over the course of 5x15). Even if you're only on PE1 scap shrugs I found it nice to really focus on these static holds (i.e. at the top of scap shrug) to help with the HBP progress. As always I defer to coaches but just a fellow beginner's experience to share!
51 minutes ago, Nicholas Camic said:Thanks for the feedback everyone. To clarify on Alessandro's reply, I just stay at the same step and add another set to get more reps? Sounds good to me. Thanks again.
That's right. Don't move past that step.
Great, thanks for the feedback, everyone. I appreciate it.
There are many strategies but before acting on rep specific parameters I prefer to hold them fixed as the course prescribe and insert a set more.
One other thing to note is that, as your form gets better, the exercise will get harder. For me, this kept happening as my shoulder ROM, elbow position, and PPT improved. So, numbers-wise it looked like I wasn't advancing, or was advancing very slowly, but my form was improving and the exercise itself was becoming more difficult, so there was progress aside from just the numbers.
Of course increasing volume is a good course of action too, as mentioned above, but just thought I'd mention the form aspect, as I've found it to be a significant factor for this particular exercise (for me anyways, as I had some formidable mobility deficiencies entering the program).
10 hours ago, Cameron Williams said:One other thing to note is that, as your form gets better, the exercise will get harder. For me, this kept happening as my shoulder ROM, elbow position, and PPT improved. So, numbers-wise it looked like I wasn't advancing, or was advancing very slowly, but my form was improving and the exercise itself was becoming more difficult, so there was progress aside from just the numbers.
Of course increasing volume is a good course of action too, as mentioned above, but just thought I'd mention the form aspect, as I've found it to be a significant factor for this particular exercise (for me anyways, as I had some formidable mobility deficiencies entering the program).
Good point, this refers exactly to what I mean with SAME EXACTLY EFFORT. this also means same difficulty on holding alignment, breaths etc.
Hi,
with two sessions you mean two of the same step right? so they will be 4 weeks apart if you do once per week for instance...