This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

From tripod to headstand - to defeat fear

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, October 11, 2016 · 14 Replies · 301 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi guys! I would like to practice consistently the movement from tripod to headstand  in order to defeat the fear to be upside down and lose balance, so that I will be ready to work on PE2 in the next future. 

I realized that as I try to lift my legs, I can barely move my thighs till they are parallel to the ground, then I lose confidence and get back to the tripod...

So I was thinking to start practicing with a wall in front of me. As I move forward my back hits the Wall, so as I try to lift my legs , my back is in contact with the Wall, avoiding the balance issue... Just like this:

I would like to know if the way I go into headstand shown in the video is correct. I was thinking that once I get comfortable I could try do the same without touching the Wall... And finally try to go into headstand with face to wall. Could It Be a good idea? Otherwise if you can give me any other tips I will appreciate that! Thanks to all! 

Alessandro

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Alessandro,

Good idea! This is a smart modification to help you feel comfortable with being upside down. It looks like one thing that might be causing stability issues is the distance between your hands and your head. Try moving your hands slightly further away from your head to make a tripod with bigger base. Again, this should not be a huge adjustment, only a few centimeters.

Suzanna McGee

I was also really scared to be upside down. I started against the wall (or my pole at home), just like you. But I went further away from the wall. Not much, just enough that I do not need to touch it when getting up. And it is there just for the mental wellbeing, to know that I cannot fall over. I managed to do the headstand on my own for the full mastery eventually without touching the wall all. But I do like it to be there :)  Try that, as you get more used to being upside down. 

Petri Widsten

I think it's better to learn how to "fall" to lose the fear rather than trying to avoid falling at all costs. Everyone WILL fall eventually anyway unless they stay glued to a wall forever :-). I learnt PE2 by putting a gym mat in front of me and if I felt I was falling forward I'd tuck my chin to my chest and roll forward. No big deal - works for PE3 as well.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
13 hours ago, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Hi Alessandro,

Good idea! This is a smart modification to help you feel comfortable with being upside down. It looks like one thing that might be causing stability issues is the distance between your hands and your head. Try moving your hands slightly further away from your head to make a tripod with bigger base. Again, this should not be a huge adjustment, only a few centimeters.

@Jeffrey Bittner thank you for your feedback! I use to place my arms just below my head, at shoulder width apart. I read that I should create a sort of triangle with head and hands. So if I got what you mean I should simply elong slightly the sides of such triangle, am I right?

Moreover, if from a side view my elbows are a bit more forward than my wrists, and not just above them (as they are now) is It still a correct position?

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Alessandro,

That is correct. Simply elongate the triangle slightly. Remember that this is not going to be a big adjustment. It will be small so the positioning of your elbows as compared to your hands will not change significantly enough to worry about.

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hello Guys!

Here's update of my road to headstand. Since a few weeks I've been trying to reach the final position. Here's a video:

Actually I don't like at all my form... I think I have to fix it in some way before adding volume work. I see that my body is not a straight line. 

How about the way I get into the final position? Is It correct? Should I focus to draw a vertical line between head and feet, or a slightly "inclined" line is even acceptable?

Any tips will be apprecisted!

Thanks to all'!

Alessandro

 

 

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Bump

Daniel Janyicsek

Hy Allesandro!

I am not a forum coach but i have some corrections of your form. 

first of all bring your feet a little more upright. You dont want to have  a completly vertical line just a slight incline so your weight is equally balanced over your hands and head. (I attached a picture for better references). 

second what i noticed is that your elbows are flaring out. tuck your elbows in all the time to create a more stable position. 

The way you get into the position is totally fine. just make sure you dont touch the wall. 

These are just the things i noticed, maybe a coach can tell his view. 

HSPE2.PNG

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Alessandro Di Sanzo,

I think your knees are slightly bent and you do not maximize the flexion of your feet. To get a better line, you must extend your hips more upward. (lengthen your body upward as if somebody is pulling your legs up) Good reference posted by Daniel.

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Dear @Daniel Janyicsek, I really appreciate your feedback! I'm going to follow your tips for sure!

@Leo Trinidadd thank you Too! I will fix my form, thanks to your advice! 

Thanks again Guys !! 

Coach Sommer

Hello Alessandro,

Good points by Daniel except for the recommendation to keep the elbows tucked in.  This will increase instability rather than decrease it.  What we are looking for is approximately a 45 degree angle, not elbows pulled into the torso.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Daniel Janyicsek

thanks coach for the correction of my statement! and sorry alessandro for the misinformation! 

Alessandro Di Sanzo
2 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Hello Alessandro,

Good points by Daniel except for the recommendation to keep the elbows tucked in.  This will increase instability rather than decrease it.  What we are looking for is approximately a 45 degree angle, not elbows pulled into the torso.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

@Coach Sommer happy to receive your feedback! Thank you for the clarification!! :) I will keep in mind this point! 

 

Alessandro Di Sanzo
55 minutes ago, Daniel Janyicsek said:

thanks coach for the correction of my statement! and sorry alessandro for the misinformation! 

No problem, @Daniel Janyicsek! Hope to post soon a fixed form! Thanks again for your tips!