This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE8 (Pull-up)

Started by Petri Widsten, October 10, 2016 · 13 Replies · 230 Views

Petri Widsten

I focused on initiating the pulls by depressing the scapula and keeping hollow. I also train pull-ups by trying to maximise scapular retraction which tends to produce an arched back. Not sure what the preference is here but I can post a video on the arched version if needed.

 

Jon Douglas

I prefer to see hips fully open up until Lsit pulls, but the strength is clearly not a problem here. Nice pullups.

Cole Dano

For GST purposes, a hollow body is where you want to be, and it will help set up the coming L variations as well. So I'd want you to work on removing that pike/arch.

Keep in mind that here are a few takes on what a correct pull up is, IMO it's more about what you want to emphasise, not what's right or wrong. But I wouldn't try to mix the different styles too much, if you want to keep that scap strength as a focus, let the back arch and do a set like that. As Jon said, you don't have any issue with strength here, but the scap work is nice prehab.

Petri Widsten

Thank you gentlemen! I didn't think either kind was right or wrong but wasn't sure which form is preferred in this particular case. Can't really tell from the angle of the course video. I'll do mastery with open hips with as much hollow body as possible.

Petri Widsten

@Jon Douglas@Cole Dano

What do you think of mastering hollow push-ups with either of these forms? Maybe not much different except for the starting leg position. If the hollow is not enough some cues would be nice. At the moment I try to tense my abs and glutes.

 

Cole Dano

Still need to pull those ribs in Petri.

Petri Widsten
12 minutes ago, Cole Dano said:

Still need to pull those ribs in Petri.

That's a cue I haven't tried yet. Thanks!

Petri Widsten

@Cole Dano@Jon Douglas

Well, I think I'm hollow now but am I? I don't have a reference video shot from the side for comparison. Hope the new technical video will address this.

OK to master this element with this form?

 

Petri Widsten

Bump

 

Jon Douglas

Hi! Sorry, frantic week :)

Still a distinct pike visible and the ribs are coming up a little. We are starting to get down into the weeds a bit by picking on this stuff but for that last few % that's my feedback :)

Petri Widsten

 

@Jon Douglas@Cole Dano@Alessandro Mainente

How does this form compare against the previous? Is it correct to start each rep from a fully relaxed deadhang as I'm doing?

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Petri, stop to 6 sec mark. you tend to arch a bit in the bottom position , I prefer a tight bodyline.

Petri Widsten

Here's a comparison, Alessandro. I'm not fully relaxed at the bottom but keep a tense core. Is there still too much arch? Anything else to correct?

@Alessandro Mainente

Alessandro Mainente

I think that the form reflects a bit the shoulder limitation you tend to show on HS mobility element. if you feel the core engaged with a decent PPT then it is fine.