This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Strengthening the wrists...

Started by Patrick Rentz, October 10, 2016 · 4 Replies · 222 Views

Patrick Rentz

I always play around with a full handstand for a couple minutes almost every day after my main training. My form is very much in line with a beginner's (not fully stacked, slightly banana-y :)), but have gotten to the point where I can do 5-10 seconds on my hands. Anyway, I am realizing how much stress is put on the wrists/forearms. Almost the entirety of the balance seems to be kept by the wrist and forearm rather than adjusting the lower body.  After doing a quick forum search, I came across this old post from @Coach Sommer and was curious to know if he still felt the same way...? I had found myself doing slower and slower wrist warmups before an upper body day (the planche stuff is heavy on the wrists as well) so this made me happy to see:

 

Alessandro Mainente

I think absolutely in the same way. eccentric training on connective tissue it is what promotes the highest consequences in therms of tissue conditioning.

Coach Sommer

Hi Patrick,

Yep, no change.  Slow is best for wrist work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jon Douglas

Coach elaborated at seminar that slow was much more productive than heavy, such as spotted in a handstand. I have found straight arms/front support/slow my own preference 

Patrick Rentz
12 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:

Coach elaborated at seminar that slow was much more productive than heavy, such as spotted in a handstand. I have found straight arms/front support/slow my own preference 

Same here. Being mindful with these is great after a day at the keyboard.