Garage gym setup and custom stall bar advice

Started by Jonathan Horowitz, October 10, 2016 · 3 Replies · 3,075 Views

Jonathan Horowitz

If you had the space below, what would you do?

I'm finally in a position to set up a garage gym and am looking for some advice on how to best optimize my space. Additionally, I'm going to have some custom stall bars built and was hoping for some tips on whether there are any modifications that I should make, such as increased spacing at the bottom for hooking legs for glute ham raises (which I saw somewhere in another post and can't find now). 

Below is my garage back wall: 

garage back wall.png

And here is the side wall next to it: 

garage side wall.png

I'm considering getting two side by side extra tall (8 ft) versions of the Rocklands from Infitness (https://infitnessequipment.com/collections/wall-bars/products/rockland) which would be 72" wide, and I would put them to the left of the window on the back wall. Alternatively, I could place them to the right of the window on the side wall, I would just have to move my car every time I wanted to use them. Other than placement, are there any other modifications I should make to the stall bars for future progressions? 

I'm planning on buying these wall pads (http://www.resilite.com/Products/Home-Use-Wall-Padding-Kit__HUWP105A.aspx) and putting them up in the corner so I can do stretch and handstand work against the wall. 

For the time being, I'm not going to mount rings from the ceiling because I'm so far away from real ring work (even though the 12+ ft ceiling is calling my name) I just need them for the rope climb work in F1. Eventually I will want some in the up there though. What other equipment and considerations should I make before I start buying things and setting them up? 

Tyson Rogers

I'm reading all stall bar threads I can today...Getting ready to setup a room and purchase stall bars as well.

 

I have no idea what's in store in F2-4, would love to hear ideas of best setup for future progress.

 

Suzanna McGee
9 hours ago, Tyson Rogers said:

I'm reading all stall bar threads I can today...Getting ready to setup a room and purchase stall bars as well.

Have you decided which ones you get? I started a thread on the stall bars yesterday. I am anxious to buy… within a couple of days, I will decide. 

Tyson Rogers

I've just been reading all I can about the topic. Right now I'm looking at the metal Rogue Fitness ones. Coach recommended those in another thread. It seems that most people make their own, and I haven't explored that yet.