This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Neck pain..

Started by Andrew Barge, October 9, 2016 · 3 Replies · 156 Views

Andrew Barge

Hi.

I am on the first level of H1 and whenever I start I get a pain in my neck at the back on the right hand side (where neck meets back). It's ok during the exercise but after it feels like strain. I rested for a month and the pain went away but I started again today from the beginning and the pain. What should I do- any recommendations? I had an X-ray and my spine is normal at least!

 

Andy

Alessandro Mainente

It could be very very very weak traps or wrong head positioning. without a video it is difficult o say. Are you also meaning to PE or IM?

For a correct evaluation check a physio first.

Alexander Egebak

Many people have reported neck pain with headstands, and it seems like it has a lot to do with neck structure and age.

Get checked by a physiotherapist or chiropractor.

They will probably tell you to discard the exercise if even doing it correctly means pain.

Coach Sommer
On October 9, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Andrew Barge said:

Hi.

I am on the first level of H1 and whenever I start I get a pain in my neck at the back on the right hand side (where neck meets back). It's ok during the exercise but after it feels like strain. I rested for a month and the pain went away but I started again today from the beginning and the pain. What should I do- any recommendations? I had an X-ray and my spine is normal at least!

 

Andy

Hi Andrew,

Resting for a month did nothing to rehab the weak area.  If your neck was weak prior to the rest, then it was still weak after the rest.  

A better approach is to rest until pain free and then begin building up your neck strength with neck exercises until you are strong enough to handle the headstand.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer