This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

FL/PE11 form check

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, October 9, 2016 · 5 Replies · 95 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi guys! I've just started to work on negative vertical body lever.

The main issue I would like to ask is about the grip I should keep while performing this exercise.

Here's two videos.

First video in which I use a neutral grip (I simply grab the bar with my palms):

second video: here I push against the bar with my lower palms/wrists. From the second rep during the negative phase I spread my fingers to show I don't need to grab the bar:

I feel I can express a bit of more strenght with the second grip, maybe this is because my scapula are a little bit more protracted (in order to "elong" my arms and reach the bar with my wrists). Moreover with the first grip I feel more tension on my elbows. Is it a normal issue? What should the ideal grip be?

Of course, I will appreciate any other comments about my form.

Thanks to all!

Alessandro

Maksis Riley

It's like a false grip, no? Increased leverage which would be why it feels easier? I'm not certain, just speculating. 

 

And I have no idea if a full grip in required for mastery but both look strong to me :) you're killing it Ale! 

 

Max

Alessandro Di Sanzo
10 hours ago, Maksis Riley said:

It's like a false grip, no? Increased leverage which would be why it feels easier? I'm not certain, just speculating. 

 

And I have no idea if a full grip in required for mastery but both look strong to me :) you're killing it Ale! 

 

Max

@Maksis Riley thank you Max!! I don't know It we could call It a false grip, anyway I feel that I can push stronger with such grip against the bar, and I do not feel any tension on my elbows compared  to the grip of the first video. But as you said I wonder if actually It makes the exercise easier, so It may be not the Ideal grip for mastery! 

@Alessandro Mainente what are your thoughts about this issue? 

Maksis Riley

Yeh I know you're not actually in a false grip, but the point of contact is similar so it was a thought that occurred to me :)

Whatever the case at worst you could master like that and then build up with full grip to give your elbows time to adapt?

 

Max

Alessandro Mainente

it is ok. in these power rack if you increase of one pole you cannot reach the bar bar. you are simply putting the lower part of the palm.

Alessandro Di Sanzo
35 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

it is ok. in these power rack if you increase of one pole you cannot reach the bar bar. you are simply putting the lower part of the palm.

Good to know! Thank you @Alessandro Mainente! @Maksis Riley issue solved, I would say!