quickest method of achieving front/side splits?

Started by StevenL, April 15, 2008 · 3 Replies · 5,097 Views

StevenL

I only want to do them because they are "the splits"

not because I need to for any sport or anything like that, so if no one feels like answering, i'll understand.

other than that I am starting tricking come summer time, I would just like to know how to do them(and to "impress the ladies" lol krbryk, remember jean claude van damme?)

Blairbob

Take a gander at this and look into PNF stretching. There should be some dynamic movement through these positions: leg swings movements

http://drillsandskills.com/stretching

Currently I believe in doing each stretch 2x for 1-2m. I cannot say if holding splits for 5-15 minutes will do much. There is a lot of information out there. Lower hold times might be ok for beginners. I've been playing around with the idea of doing some PNF to warmup before passive at the end of the workouts.

I like having my athletes do both a pancake stretch from a straddle sit and middle splits.

Morning and night for fast gains after some warmup. Stretching cold just isn't gonna be worth it IMO, especially for any gains.

Edward Smith

I would just have to say be consistent and be patient. I personally feel the best way is to work all types of flexibility, static/passive, active, dynamic, those are the types of flexibility, then there are types of stretching, static, isometric, dynamic, active, PNF, stretching under load (sort of a sub-category for dynamic and active). I'll list stretches for splits, but there not in a specific order:

-static splits front, back and side (yes, specifity in stretching as well)

-butterfly stretch

-lunge (stretch, back knee on ground)

-all of the above with isometrical holds

-lunges (exercise)

-pike

-power splits

Charles

I highly recommend anyone of Pavel's books oriented towrd stretching. It's really been helping me a lot.