This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Beginner with biceps tendinitis

Started by Thomas Vermeir, October 9, 2016 · 6 Replies · 117 Views

Thomas Vermeir

Hey all,

I'm 28 years old and I've been doing basic fitness & bodyweight exercises for a few years now (on & off). I'm still a beginner when it comes to mobility so I decided to join GB! :)

Unfortunately, I've had reoccurring issues with biceps tendinitis and since a few days ago, I can feel that my left upper bicep tendon/shoulder is getting inflamed again. For this, I will focus on rotator cuff exercises (in- & external rotation), ice packs and self massage.

I really want to start with the mobility fundamentals like 'crab' but I was wondering what impact this will have on my bicep head/shoulder? Should I avoid these type of "strenuous" movements until the inflammation is completely gone? Or will these movements help with the healing process? And can these movements help prevent future inflammation?

Please let me know if you can provide feedback.

Thanks in advance & have a good weekend! :)

Thomas

Everett Carroll

Hi Thomas,

These are good questions and I strongly recommend consulting a physio or other medical professional about this recurring issue. They will be able to guide you through rehabbing it and let you know If you have any specific limitations. We do have some other Coaches on here who are medical professionals. They may have some advice for you but nothing beats an in-person diagnosis. 

Coach Sommer

Hi Thomas,

Biceps tendonitis is indicative that you are working beyond your current abilities.  The first thing you should do to address this is to stop working over your head and stop doing additional damage to yourself.

The recovery items you mentioned (rotator cuff work, ice packs and self massage) are a distant second to this.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thomas Vermeir

Hey Everett, Coach Sommer,

Thank you for the feedback! Taking a step back to re-evaluate everything (with a medical professional) will be indeed be priority. 

Take care!

Gr,

Thomas

Ryan Hurst

Hi all,

My left biceps is sore during shoulder extension (tweaked during crab a month ago and not getting better).

I understand Coach says to stop working overhead, aka shoulder flexion.  

What about shoulder extension?... Is there a way to rest the biceps, while continuing mobility work on my my super-tight pec minor?

Thanks a lot!

Ryan

Mark Collins

As long as the pain goes away once you stop doing the crab it is ok to train. Sometimes these strains can niggle for months even though they they healed.

Kai Ewert

When Coach Sommer said "stop working over your head" I believe he meant that as stop doing work that means you are in over your head as in work that is too hard/too much for your current ability, not overhead movements...