This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Alternative to Supine Trap Stretch

Started by Joshua Hanson, October 8, 2016 · 5 Replies · 113 Views

Joshua Hanson

I'm just starting this series and I'm unable to position myself as shown (Supine Trap Stretch) in the video for this to effectively stretch my traps. Instead, I'm feeling it in my upper neck which seems unsafe to me.  

Can someone please suggest an alternative trap stretch?

Thanks,

Josh

Everett Carroll

Hi Joshua,

Try putting a folded mat or cushion under your neck to reduce pressure on your neck. You can also support your hips with your hands until you get more flexible and the stretch feels more comfortable. Certainly do not push through neck pain in this. Let us know if need any more advice on this one!

Joshua Hanson

Everett, 

Thanks for the feedback. I will play around with what you suggested and try to shift the pressure from neck to traps. 

I am still interested in hearing suggestions for alternatives. I found many other suggestions using Google but not sure which of them are effective. 

Thanks again, 

Josh

 

Everett Carroll

Try positioning yourself pretty close to a wall and putting a thick pad or folded mat under your shoulders and upper back. From here, walk your feet up the wall until your torso is nearly vertical.

Having your feet on the wall and back slightly elevated should take weight off of your neck and still provide a good stretch. Over time, the entire series will loosen your traps and make this position more and more comfortable.  

Joshua Hanson

Everett, 

My poor walls (i live in a small apartment).  Thanks for the creative and thoughtful suggestion!  

Leonhard Krahé
12 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Over time, the entire series will loosen your traps and make this position more and more comfortable.  

This!

Initially, I felt very awkward with this position. Fast forward a couple of months and it's one of my favourite stretches from the series, I find the position itself very relaxing and I get a much, much better stretch for the traps out of it than initially.

I was seeing a physio the other day and he had me try some neck stretches, one of which is a very scaled down version of this one and it was the only one I had a decent ROM in.