This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

couldn't do even half of first video

Started by Margaret Graham, October 8, 2016 · 18 Replies · 836 Views

Margaret Graham

That first video seemed to assume that I was much stronger and more limber than I am and required a bungee, stall bars and a ball!! Is there something more basic to start on! I just purchased the foundations one, thoracic bridge, front stretch package and that was my first video. I'm feeling intimidated and in over my head. I did do the fundamentals and after 2-3 months felt pretty competent there.

Coach Sommer

Hi Margaret,

You are doing fine.

Do not feel that you need to complete the entire TB series immediately.  Rather only work up to the point that you are currently comfortable. As your strength and thoracic mobility improve, gradually begin working your way deeper and deeper into the series.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Suzanna McGee

@Margaret Graham, you will be surprised how quickly you will improve from week to week. When I did my first TBS (8 weeks ago), I was almost "depressed" lol. I thought I was quite fit and flexible then, but that thing felt horrible. I am learning to love it now. Each week, I feel a big step in improvement of my mobility. Just do what you can each time, and you will be able to do better each week. It's like a miracle ;) 

Jason DeFranco

I am in the same boat, the TBS is very hard!! Only my 3rd week into the stretch series and I have noticed improvements!! I am anxious to see where I'll be I a couple of months.

In the beginning I think it is important to remember consistency is more important than intensity.

Nicholas Smith

You might try working through the technique tips videos, rather video showing the entire series, because they contain really useful suggestions for scaling each stretch. To do this you need to find the thoracic bridge series in the "Lessons and Progressions" below the "Available Workouts" menu. Once you've done this a few times, and have figured out a scaling that works for you, then you can work through the workout videos, adapting as needed.

 

Margaret Graham
On 10/9/2016 at 3:17 PM, Nicholas Smith said:

You might try working through the technique tips videos, rather video showing the entire series, because they contain really useful suggestions for scaling each stretch. To do this you need to find the thoracic bridge series in the "Lessons and Progressions" below the "Available Workouts" menu. Once you've done this a few times, and have figured out a scaling that works for you, then you can work through the workout videos, adapting as needed.

 

Thank You, I don't know why I hadn't tried clicking on those, that's just what I needed

Diego Lopez

I just did this workout for the first time and wow!  I know my mobility is a huge issue (hence why I'm here) but even the elevated bridges don't seem possible lol!!

@Margaret Graham you may also want to do the shoulder routines under "Fitness - Online Classes".  Since I can only do about half of the Thorasic routine I'm going to supplement it with the various shoulder videos there.

Jonas Berglund

Im borrowing this thread,, i cant press myself up to "bridge" with My feet elevated. And when i press myself up to bridge with My feet on the floor, i cant lift My legs up to the elevated Box. Any advice on how i can get into the position? (Assuming i dont have a Training partner)

 

by the way, i cant hold the bridge position for more than 3 sec, should i just stop at exercise 17 until i improve?

Tanya Hill

Hi Jonas, 

Your not alone! Many adults struggle with bridge, be patient and work all exercises leading up to number 17. Always attempt your weakness and one day it will become your strength. 

Please post a video of your current progress, Id be happy to look over the small details and see what other advice I can provide for you. :) 

Margaret Graham

I've now been doing the TBS with greater regularity for two months (once a week with maybe one missed) and while it is definitely the most challenging of the stretch series I no longer feel despair! Number 17 is still a real stopping point but I stay with the video and give it a try each time; sometimes I can press up a bit and get the top of my head on the ground, progress! Most exciting though is that when I do the rolls between exercises it no longer feels like I thud to a stop on my lumber spine but can actually roll this is very exciting to me. Today for the first time I was able to reach back and grab a bar at about eye level for the wall walks at the end, it was intense. The whole series tends to leave me a little spacy/nauseated; I've suffered from vertigo in the past but am very encouraged with my progress. 

Darin Phoenix

Hi Margaret, 

We love to hear when a student gets results from being consistent. Keep us posted with your progress as it encourages all our community.

Janos Locsei
On 09/10/2016 at 10:17 PM, Nicholas Smith said:

You might try working through the technique tips videos, rather video showing the entire series, because they contain really useful suggestions for scaling each stretch. To do this you need to find the thoracic bridge series in the "Lessons and Progressions" below the "Available Workouts" menu.

Thanks for pointing out where the techniques videos are. I didn't know they existed! I bought the course last night, did the workout as best I could, but the whole time I was thinking "This is really hard and I don't know what I'm doing! Where are the technique videos!?". 

Coach Sommer, maybe you'd consider putting the technique videos under the follow-along video, like in the Foundation 1 workouts? Or at least a link from the workout page direct to the technique videos page?

In any case, I'm glad to discover that there are technique videos and I look forward to getting into them. Thanks again Coach and everyone else for producing this course.

Darin Phoenix

Hi Janos, 

The techniques and scaling videos do appear directly in the follow along video. They should appear in the bottom right-hand corner. 

Janos Locsei
48 minutes ago, Darin Phoenix said:

=The techniques and scaling videos do appear directly in the follow along video. They should appear in the bottom right-hand corner. 

Thanks, you're right. Not sure how I missed that. The video was minimised to just an eye icon (probably carried over the settings from me having it minimised in Foundation) and I didn't notice it. Thanks for pointing it out. The video-in-video format is neat, shows you just what you need when you need it. 

Ferdinand Berr

I also have problems with getting myself into bridge position, lacking strength and mobility. I can get into and hold a weak/bad bridge on the floor for a short amount of time, but I can't even get my arms completely straight/elbows locked. Today was just my second TBS and I'm optimistic there will be progress, but I'd like to know if there are any "soft" progressions when it comes to the required strength for pushing up into and holding the bridge. I might as well try to push into the bridge and hold it as long as possible every time I do the TBS, but I fear it might be a little too much for my current level (just like for example training pull-ups if one cannot complete a set of rows).

Another question about the 90s Supine Shoulder Extension Stretch: coach emphasizes not too put too much strain on the elbows. Does this only concern "joint pain" or should we even avoid "stretching pain" in the elbows and just go so far, that the stretch can only be felt in our shoulders? I'm a bit over-careful with this one, as I had a tendinitis in my left arm from climbing (biceps/brachialis) half a year ago.

Last one for now concerns the Capsule Stretch: should the stretched shoulder be in a special position (depressed, elevated, etc..) or does that not matter right there?

I'd highly appreciate any suggestion and feedback;)

Ferdinand Berr

Push:p

Did the TBS again today and still have the same questions. Another thing I recognized is that the bridge work seems to be a little too much for my wrists at the moment, I think the H1 course will help with that over time. Basically I'd like to have a softer progression towards bridge work (especially when it comes to pushing strength in that bridge position), so that I can do at least a little bit of it right now.

Affan Osman

I don't think you should feel any type of pain. I am not sure what you mean by stretching pain. You should only feel a slight discomfort. As for bridge progressions, I saved notes from Coach Sommer from another thread:

Standards for a correct bridge; in order of stages of development.
1) Initially you may need to begin with elevated feet and simply trying to elevate the torso off the ground.
2) The next step is to attain straight arms. The arms may be wider than shoulder width if necessary to accomplish this.
3) After achieving straight arms, it is time to work on narrowing the width of your grip. At a minimum bring the arms into shoulder width. My own athletes were required to touch the index fingers and thumbs together in a diamond.
4) With absolutely locked arms, now begin focusing on shoulder flexion by pressing the shoulders/arm pits out in front of the hands.
5) While maintaining all of the other cues, now work on straightening the knees. The feet may be apart during this stage.
6) Now work on bringing the legs together. The heels may be off the ground.
7) Finally work on pressing the the heels down until your entire foot is flat to the floor.

 

Ferdinand Berr

Thanks!

Pain is the wrong word, what I meant by "stretching pain" is the normal discomfort of stretching. When doing the Supine Shoulder Extension, I feel the stretch in my elbows and shoulders, and I'm not sure how much "discomfort" I should feel in the elbow area in order to do it correctly. I've been rather careful with this exercise therefore. 

I'm definitely struggling with step 2 of this list..I feel like simply trying to push my arms straight and hold the position for as long as possible might be a little too much right now..what do you think about doing an "incline bridge" with the hands on an elevated platform like a small table? This would take a little weight off the arms and make it a softer progression.

Affan Osman

On a scale of 1-10 you should aim for a 3 is terms for discomfort. It's better to be safe than sorry. 

As for incline bridge i think raising arms on elevated surface would beat the purpose of the exercise. Coaches would be better able to answer this question for you but from understanding the reason you elevate feet is because you want to feel the stretch in your upper back and not lower back. If you cannot straighten your arms for now that should be ok, overtime you will build strength to do that.