This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Knee Problem

Started by David Belcher, October 8, 2016 · 5 Replies · 265 Views

David Belcher

GB Team,

I know there's quite a bit of PT's with GB now and I wanted to get the opinion on some knee problems I've been having.  These knee issues have nothing to do with the GB training but the training has done a good job of highlighting the issues.  I'm pretty sure the problems I've been experiencing aren't going to get better without some kind of orthopedic repair.  I just wanted to share the symptoms and see if I could get some opinions on it.  I have an appointment to be seen by a doctor next week but also wanted to hear what you guys think as well.

Left knee (outside portion of the knee).  Gives out frequently going down or up staircases.  Gives out while doing bear crawls.  Gives out doing a split leg or walking lunge.  No consistent pain just basically collapses.  I thought at one time their might be some IT band tightness or weakness but I've done quite a bit of strengthening, stretching, mobility, foam rolling.  My conclusion is that its something structural in the knee but I've really wanted to keep training and avoid the thought of repair.

Right knee (behind the knee cap, middle, sharp pain vertical/up and down in this area).  Again this is not a constant all the time but it does happen quite a bit (daily or a few times a week).  Same issue with movement problems as the other knee.  

I have done quite a bit of stuff physically and have been active for a long time.  I believe I did something to both of them on different occassions while on patrol in the military (under 100lb load moving across uneven terrain) and just pushed through it.  That was about 3-4 years ago for both issues and I think its kinds of developed into this.  Despite training and conditioning I am just not able to improve on these areas or work around them.  Any thoughts and opinions would be welcomed!

Thank you!

David

Coach Sommer

Hi David,

My first reaction upon hearing that it 'just collapses' is a potential tear.  Please keep us updated after you see the doc next week.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ryan Bailey
On 10/8/2016 at 11:44 AM, David Belcher said:

My conclusion is that its something structural in the knee but I've really wanted to keep training and avoid the thought of repair.

In addition to Coach's insight, I think you are on the right track, David. Sometimes the fastest route to training, is getting the injury evaluated, fixed if need be, then right back into it.

Good luck,

Ryan

Christopher Stadtherr

I'm not a PT, but am a physician with a fair amount of sports medicine experience.

A knee that "gives out" often suggests a meniscal tear - lateral meniscus in the case of your left knee.  A good physical exam can detect it with reasonable confidence, but ultimately an MRI will probably be needed to fully define the problem, especially if surgery may be needed.  Also, a "loose body" in the joint (piece of bone or cartilage) can cause a similar sensation of giving out.

As for the pain in the right knee, pain behind the kneecap is often patellofemoral pain, aka chondromalacia of the patella.  Again, a good exam can narrow it down - worth seeing someone with sports medicine or ortho experience.  

My bias would be to see a sports medicine physician initially, reason being that ortho docs (not all of them) tend to approach problems surgically whereas a sports med doc tends to have a more balanced perspective of knowing when a problem can be fixed with strengthening/rehab, etc. vs surgery. - When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Best of luck,

Chris

Mark Collins

It sounds like structural damge to me. I would seek medical advice.

David Belcher

Gentlemen,

Thank you for all the feedback!  I went to my general physician and have been referred for x-rays and physical therapy.  It was recommended that a knee brace would help with support and the collapsing that occurs.  Personally, I believe that if their is no injury to the connective tissue and it is strengthened properly that a brace isn't useful.  

Good to read what all of you wrote because I thought the same thing but wanted to get your thoughts.  Really value your opinions!

Thank you!

David