This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Vegan news

Started by Jeff Serven, October 8, 2016 · 9 Replies · 211 Views

Ryan Bailey

If that is real, that's pretty extreme for that kid; I wonder if breast milk was off the table as well. This also got me thinking of that debate whether or not an adult might get by on a Vegan diet but not so much in the case of a child...

Jeff, I'll give you $20 to post that on the public forum right now. Haha. Maybe not.

Jeff Serven

It I posted that on the public forum people would go crazy. I just saw that pop up in my news feed and thought the timing was convent. 

Again, there is nothing wrong with a vegan diet. Good on those who do it. But, it is just not the end all be all for performance. 

Julia Quigley

Whoa! The mom is 5'9" and weighs 90 pounds. Talk about projecting her issues onto a poor baby.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Lol, the sources are NY Daily News and People Magazine. Not to say they lack credibility, but their aim is certainly to instigate and infuriate, haha. Nevertheless, our species only evolved when it started eating meat. Case closed for me. Sure, there are sustainable and unsustainable ways to eat, and people 'thrive' differently. I just am never going back to abstaining from meat products. I was forced into that while in the Peace Corps, and....I'm good. I like me some meat, haha.

Jeff Serven

It was on Fox news too. 

To each his own. I have no problem with vegans or vegetarian. But I do like to give them crap because even vegan I know makes me listen to their rubbish. 

On a whole separate topic; caloric restriction(I know its not the same thing) has some sold weight behind it for longevity purposes. I suppose it all just matters your goal. If its an animal rights thing then cool but don't turn around and then say its also the best for X, Y and Z. 

I mean there is no perfect diet. If I had cancer I wouldn't eat Thrive - I would be more selective with dairy and some meats.  

Ryan Bailey

Jeff, what are your thoughts on caloric restriction periodized throughout the year for nonprofessional or noncompetitive athletes? 

Jeff Serven

The degree of restriction is the variable there. With the Thrive portion size and food choices there is a degree of restriction but certainly not a -20% deficit as some would recommend. I personally don't do it but, it wouldn't hurt in moderation. The problem is that you have to establish a baseline of what is normal before you can cut a certain amount of cals. So in other words = for 1 week of restriction you have 6 weeks of calorie counting. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
16 hours ago, Jeff Serven said:

On a whole separate topic; caloric restriction(I know its not the same thing) has some sold weight behind it for longevity purposes. I suppose it all just matters your goal. If its an animal rights thing then cool but don't turn around and then say its also the best for X, Y and Z. 

I mean there is no perfect diet. If I had cancer I wouldn't eat Thrive - I would be more selective with dairy and some meats.  

5

This should be the rule of thumb. Everybody wants to have the perfect everything, but that doesn't exist. Furthermore, what one expert deems 'perfect' may totally screw you up (relative to your experience, for example, if someone was a cancer patient or had renal failure). I digress.