This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Question on progressing

Started by Jeff Donahue, October 7, 2016 · 4 Replies · 301 Views

Jeff Donahue

So I've been at this a couple of weeks now and I am on the verge of progressing to new movements on a few of the progressions (push ups and squats) for next week.  I am on level 9 now and have no issues with the movements and feel comfortable moving to the next exercise.

I have hit "Easy" for both workouts and expect that it will now move me to PE2/Step 1 for both exercises but as I look at the progressions online I feel like that would even be too easy.  For example, I will now move to pushups - 3 sets of 3.  I don't think that would even be a workout but according to the guidance I've read on the forum, I should do a week at this, then if too easy, progress to level 4 the next week.  But wouldn't that be kind of a waste of a week if 3 sets of 3 pushups isn't even going to give me a workout?

Looking for some guidance here on this issue.  Should I just look at the levels of progressions and try to pick the one I think is my current level?  I honestly feel I could do 5 sets of 6 with probably no problem (maybe not, haven't tried, but over the years I've done lots of pushups and think that I could do that pretty easily).

Thanks

Jeff

 

Coach Sommer

Hi Jeff,

Currently you may only move up one step per week at a time.  Shortly the course interface will be updated to allow an exercise to be marked 'too easy' which will allow movements from step 1 to step 5 to step 9 to step 1 etc.

Remember however that mastering mobility goes hand in hand with the mastering the PEs.  

If you reach a plateau in your training, and it is due to your skipping your mobility work, the forum coaches are simply going to redirect you to go back and fix the mobility that you skipped over in the first place.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Renzo Manfredi

Hi regarding Mastering a set, do I need to complete total reps and holds for time etc as quickly as the practitioners in the follow along videos to regard that set as Mastered and if I can't keep pace is this a fail?

Darin Phoenix

Hi Renzo, 

Mastery involves you completing the PE's along with the integrated mobility with little to no rest between sets. If you require large amounts of rest in between sets to complete the necessary reps or holds then you have not achieved mastery. 

Renzo Manfredi

Hi Darin

Thank you for answering my question, much appreciated.