This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN PE5 mobility number of bars?

Started by Erik Rissanen, October 7, 2016 · 6 Replies · 119 Views

Erik Rissanen

In the "classic" course video the athlete walks up so he has only one bar between his legs and hands. Now I see in the new technique tip video that she walks up only to the point where she still has two bars between the feet and hands, and this on a stall bar which looks to have wider spacing between the bars to begin with. The instructor even says "finding your maximum point" and then starting the descent.

What is the standard for mastery on this exercise? Is the point to just go high enough that you can still hold your grip and then stretch? That would make things a lot easier than how I interpreted the classic video. I have been stuck on this one for months, building up grip strength to handle only one bar.

Alessandro Mainente

The mastery required it is at least 2 poles between hands and feet but I HIGHLY recommend only one pole.

Erik Rissanen

Thanks Alessandro. Ok, so one pole only it is then.

I have working on this one for nine months now, so I wanted to know that I am not spending that time on something unintended. I am quite close now though. The first time I tried I could not even stand on the top bar, but now I can lean out and do the stretch and sometimes pull back in, but often I fall down instead when pulling up. A few more months and I should have it.

That grip strength probably will be handy later on. Or if I ever need to jump and grab an escaping helicopter from the landing gear.

Suzanna McGee

Guys, I don't have stall bars, just a rails, which are sort of a fence so people wouldn't fall down from the first floor… the space between the rails are much bigger than on regular stall bars, so it is very hard for me to judge the distances between the feet and hands. I often look at the videos and try to see where the bar is in reference to the knees/thighs etc… (because, I guess 2 poles for a tall person is like 1 pole for short person, right?). I am wondering, if you are at your "maximum point", how far (in centimeters, inches) are your hands away from your feet? I can then measure my rails and figure out the spacing there…  

Bradley OConnell

I believe that the rungs on the stall bars are 6 to 8 inches center to center. 

Suzanna McGee

Great, thank you @Bradley OConnell. I will measure the fence/rails and figure out how I can do it on it… but maybe it's time to get stall bars in my home :)

 

Kai Ewert

The typical distance between rungs is 5.5 - 6 in rather than 8 inches from my research...