This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/SE3 - Combination of exercise and iM

Started by Luzian Scherrer, October 5, 2016 · 13 Replies · 302 Views

Luzian Scherrer

I'm back again at sPL/SE3 and I was wondering about the idea of the combination with its iM on this one. To me sPL/SE3 is a maximum strength effort which is fine but the iM is also mainly a strength thing and not really a mobility thing. Am I the only one who thinks that to get better at sPL/SE3 short rest periods to regain strength between the holds would be more beneficial than powering myself completely out with that iM? Are you guys really doing sPL/SE3 and iM back to back with no break?

Alessandro Mainente

This is exactly what I did back in the time,one element after the other. take a couple of breaths if it is necessary then more to the following set.

There is one important thing that I discovered on my clients during the last years teaching the GB method. no one of them was able to correctly extend the hips from open tuck version if they don't have already mastered the bent arm planche position. 

Be able to feel the hips position when upper body is supported by a bench it is definitely different from feeling the hips position when the body it is unsupported by a bench.

Kris McIntyre

I got nowhere doing it as per the program.  I now do the bent arm as a second ex after all the planche sets are done.

Even then I have to alternate sessions of short and long rest times (5+ mins) to break plateaus.

Alessandro Mainente
7 hours ago, Kris McIntyre said:

I got nowhere doing it as per the program.  I now do the bent arm as a second ex after all the planche sets are done.

Even then I have to alternate sessions of short and long rest times (5+ mins) to break plateaus.

Actually this variation does not consist the mastery execution.

Remember that is work capacity. work capacity / basic strength does not take place with 5 minutes rest.

Luzian Scherrer

What you are saying about correctly extending the hips does sound reasonable Alessandro. I'm not questioning the iM in general, but just the combination of this iM - which again to me is more strength oriented than mobility oriented - with the tuck planche hold. If you are doing it back to back exercise and iM that means just one long period of time under tension and that does not seem productive to me.

Luzian Scherrer
8 hours ago, Kris McIntyre said:

I now do the bent arm as a second ex after all the planche sets are done.

That's exactly what I was thinking about doing...

Kai Ewert

I think that's what you should be doing, as an experiment, without loosing track of the ultimate goal of doing combined SE and iM. 

The thing is, we will not have a moderator come along and tell you it's ok. But sPL/PE3 is one of those major plateau steps in the courses. And we have seen time and again that the original form/content/progression will be defended tooth and nail with no room to budge - until there is a change in the curriculum. Which is good, the courses are evolving. 

Luzian Scherrer

Yep, I agree.. the goal is the combined SE and iM but probably a little flexiblity is fine on the road to it. No need for a moderator to authorized that but it would be great to read some personal experiences from guys who did pass mastery on it.

Kai Ewert

I would like to hear from those guys as well. Not sure how many there are. You could try looking for form checks on more advanced elements in the sPL series and tagging the people who posted them here or sending them a PM...

John Koliopoulos

In my opinion the mastery requirement is extremely difficult or even unrealistic for people that are taller or heavier. I nearly had a straddle planche back when i was lighter (~77kg), now I am ~85kg. And from my own experience I can tell you I never had a remote chance of getting this SE with no rest, like you said, this is max strength not endurance. Nor has there been anybody on this forum that has posted a video of mastery sets to my knowledge^^ I would love to see it...

Kris McIntyre

How about the next one then, 30sec open planche combined with 20sec bent arm - basically 5min static hold!

Alessandro Mainente
11 hours ago, John Koliopoulos said:

In my opinion the mastery requirement is extremely difficult or even unrealistic for people that are taller or heavier. I nearly had a straddle planche back when i was lighter (~77kg), now I am ~85kg. And from my own experience I can tell you I never had a remote chance of getting this SE with no rest, like you said, this is max strength not endurance. Nor has there been anybody on this forum that has posted a video of mastery sets to my knowledge^^ I would love to see it...

This is not correct, maximal strength in isometric context it is achieved with hold comprised from 6 to 11-12 seconds. thsi part it is easily completed in the template schema. the rest it is work capacity.

Notice that you do not have to be able to complete the IM seconds from the beginning, as the course stated, building up the mobility it is a process.

I have completed this mastery long time ago, actually my brother finished the 4x12'' with not rest. he is 86 kg and i'm 82 kg. he passed like me, hte most part of the time improving the IM rather then the PE. for people who are unable to hold at least one second of IM  it is probably not enough strength on bent arm work. for those people i suggest to reach the follwing goals:

-10'' bent arm tuck pl on pbars

-10'' bent arm adv tuck pl on pbars

-10reps bent arm adv tuck planche lift to half straddle

-then a couple of second of bent arms half straddle planche will be easier no perform

Notice please that if you are not able to open the hips completely with correct hips extension the half straddle could harder then a bent straddle planche.

 

 

John Koliopoulos

Well respect then, you should have filmed it to give us mortals something to admire :D

For me, the iM is no problem. Achieving a 30sec Tuck PL hold with proper form is possible aswell. But 5sets of this no rest?^^

I am focussing on HBP now anyway. Currently building to 5x5 free full rom HSPU. I will definitely start training planche again sometime, but for now I will give it a rest. I think it is extremely important to switch it up from time to time and also keep the fun in workouts.

And this idea with no rest for F4 definitely IS unrealistic and not applicable for most. For F1 it makes sense, as it is strength endurance. But for advanced technical strength exercises you need rest. Maybe some professionals can crank out 5x5 HBP+im for example with zero rest, but you can't compare elite athletes that have dedicated their lives to the sport, have optimal genetics, nutrition&PEDs to amateurs.

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, John Koliopoulos said:

Well respect then, you should have filmed it to give us mortals something to admire :D

For me, the iM is no problem. Achieving a 30sec Tuck PL hold with proper form is possible aswell. But 5sets of this no rest?^^

I am focussing on HBP now anyway. Currently building to 5x5 free full rom HSPU. I will definitely start training planche again sometime, but for now I will give it a rest. I think it is extremely important to switch it up from time to time and also keep the fun in workouts.

And this idea with no rest for F4 definitely IS unrealistic and not applicable for most. For F1 it makes sense, as it is strength endurance. But for advanced technical strength exercises you need rest. Maybe some professionals can crank out 5x5 HBP+im for example with zero rest, but you can't compare elite athletes that have dedicated their lives to the sport, have optimal genetics, nutrition&PEDs to amateurs.

Well personally for me HBP final mastery was easier then tuck planche mastery.