This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elbow Pain with Rings but not bar

Started by Joe DaSilva, October 5, 2016 · 10 Replies · 141 Views

Joe DaSilva

I'm working on the Groud Row, when I do it with rings, I get some pain in an elbow. When I do the row on a bar, I set to waist height with a pronated grip no pain. Can I just keep working with a bar through the progressions and in time the elbow will get stronger?

Alessandro Mainente

HI Joe, nope, you should stop and understand the cause of the pain. please check a professional expert and let us know what he tells to you.

Patrick Rentz

Ground rows are a lot harder than they seem IMO - and I have no problem with weighted pull ups/chin ups. Just a different exercise-to me it seems much more bicep intensive than lats, so the bar may be allowing you to use more lats and take the pressure off your elbow (especially with a pronated grip...supinated I think is much more biceps). Also you can always get more leverage and stability with a bar vs. rings.

Out of curiosity, are you sure mastered the incline rows? I ask b/c I went back to them and spent more time under tension to help conditioning after hitting a roadblock with ground rows. You could also play around with lowering the ring height progressively instead of all at once (JMO, coaches may disagree).

But obviously go see a professional about lasting pain...

Petri Widsten
5 minutes ago, Patrick Rentz said:

Ground rows are a lot harder than they seem IMO - and I have no problem with weighted pull ups/chin ups. Just a different exercise-to me it seems much more bicep intensive than lats, so the bar may be allowing you to use more lats and take the pressure off your elbow (especially with a pronated grip...supinated I think is much more biceps).

I agree. A nasty combination of a moderately demanding (by F1 standards) movement and high number of reps. I think lots of folks will get stuck on this one like they previously did on Hinge Row (which has now been reduced to warmup standard). As for the grip, when I trained these I alternated between sets with pronated to neutral and pronated to supinated grip rotations. I think I read somewhere on the forum that it's really up to one's own preference. Maybe a full grip rotation split the load more evenly between back and arm muscles. The stability makes them easier on the bar even though you can't rotate your grip.

Ronnicky Roy

If it's only discomfort at this point. I'd say rest and drop back to incline rows. Focus on doing PPT, with toes straight and see if you can do mastery like that. I wasn't doing that myself and went back to do Incline rows to retest mastery, with that single change and the exercise was harder on my biceps. Likely you didn't train the arms as thoroughly as PE1 should have and it's showing up now. 

Tho, I will say. If it is actual pain and not just discomfort, checking with a professional might be best as alessandro suggested. I probably wouldn't do that and just give myself a week or more of rest, then reduce the difficulty to an element I can do with no pain. But a doctor's visit might be wise. You don't want to mess around with joint pain, by banging out reps on something you're not ready for.

Patrick Rentz
11 minutes ago, Petri Widsten said:

I agree. A nasty combination of a moderately demanding (by F1 standards) movement and high number of reps. I think lots of folks will get stuck on this one like they previously did on Hinge Row (which has now been reduced to warmup standard). As for the grip, when I trained these I alternated between sets with pronated to neutral and pronated to supinated grip rotations. I think I read somewhere on the forum that it's really up to one's own preference. Maybe a full grip rotation split the load more evenly between back and arm muscles. The stability makes them easier on the bar even though you can't rotate your grip.

This is one of the first elements I've gotten to where my endurance just falls off a cliff. First set is easy. 2nd moderately difficult. By the 4th set it's a real struggle to get to 10. Of course this is if you're not blowing through them for speed and letting your body come crashing down.

 

Ronnicky Roy

I actually hadn't considered the tempo. You do want to make sure you're doing a 2-0-2-0 tempo. 

Patrick Rentz
18 minutes ago, Ronnicky Roy said:

I actually hadn't considered the tempo. You do want to make sure you're doing a 2-0-2-0 tempo. 

What's that? 2 seconds on the pull?

Ronnicky Roy

2 second pull, 0 second hold at top, 2 second lowering down, 0 second pause at bottom.

Eva Pelegrin

Tempo notations usually read like this:

First number indicates seconds for lowering/eccentric phase of a movement (load).

Second number notes how long you should pause at the bottom position.

Third number indicates seconds for the ascending/concentric phase of a movement (explode).

Fourth number: how long should you pause at the top position.

X = indicated as fast as possible.

 

 

Alessandro Mainente

Please guys hold the discussion in the limit of the argument.