This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stretching frequency and weightlifting

Started by Sam Jarvis, October 4, 2016 · 3 Replies · 161 Views

Sam Jarvis

Hi, just got started this morning with the front stretch series.  Felt great.  What are your recommendations for frequency of stretching?  I know Coach had mentioned only do once a week, but could I do the middle stretch series tomorrow?  Or do I need to take a day between stretch series?

Also, I had been weightlifting 2x a week, but I think I'm going to start focusing on getting more flexible since my muscles are pretty tight.  Once I start Foundations, is that a good replacement for my weightlifting as strength training?  Or would it be too much to do Foundations plus 2x weightlifting?  I also practice Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu 2-4x a week and boxing 2-3x a week.

 

Thanks for your imput.

Tanya Hill

Hi Sam, 

Glad to hear you are working through the stretch courses. You can definitely do the stretch courses more then once a week depending on how your body recovers from the course. You may be pretty sore the following day. 

The weightlifting may slow down some GST gains as far as mobility goes. If you made the Foundations your main focus and slowly added in the lifting you may see better results. 

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Sam,

Each stretch course once per week is the recommended frequency. Any more and you are likely to overdo it. 

Foundation One is a great replacement for weightlifting as it will address both strength and mobility deficits together. You will be able to loosen up from all of the lifting you have done. @Luke Searra has written on here about having great success with his lifting after taking time off to work on Foundations, the handstand courses, and stretching.

Suzanna McGee

Sam, I used to do weightlifting 6 days a week, before I found GST. I started Handstand two months ago,  in August, and pretty much every week added a new program. Now I do all 3 stretches, once a week… (Wed MSS, Sat FSS, Sunday TBS) As I was adding the Foundation, I slowly found no need of weight training because it's been taken care of in the Foundation. I do also the H1/H2… F7 2–3 times a week, H1/H2 2–3 a week. I am getting stronger much more than during my weightlifting times. You may discover the same. But you definitely will love every moment of it :)