This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Creating a schedule

Started by Anthony Winyard, October 4, 2016 · 6 Replies · 244 Views

Anthony Winyard

I'm trying to create a schedule for myself to follow.

A little background; I'm 52 but in very good shape, although poor flexibility, but strong core. Have never done weights etc.

I've finished the Fundamentals course and have signed up for Foundations, Stretch series and Handstand series.

For the past couple of weeks i've been trying to fit it all in and realised I was doing too much and early last week i started to get a small twinge at the top of my groin and a crick in my neck so I backed off for a few days.

I was advised to just do around 30 minutes a day for 5 days a week, so I looked through the movements in the 3 courses I'm doing to try to estimate how long each were and calculated the following:

There are 7 sections to the Foundation 1 course

There are 6 sections to the Handstand 1 course (although that is including the wrist stretch which is only a few minutes and do those daily anyway so won't include it in these calculations - leaving 5 sections)

There are 3 sections to the Stretch series

I then worked out roughly how long each section takes and broke it down as follows:

Foundations:
Front lever - 45 mins
Straddle planche - 35
Side lever - 30
Manna  - 30
Single leg squat - 25
Hollow back press - 30
Rope climb - 30
 
Handstand course: 45
 
Stretch series:
Middle split - 45
Front split - 45
Thoracic bridge - 30
 
So in order to try to get a good balance between not overdoing it, but working myself so that I get good progress, it seemed to me that the following might work out, repeated every 3 weeks
 
Week 1 Day 1 - front lever - 45 minutes
W1 D2 - Wrists- 20
W1 D3 - middle split - 45
W1 D4 - straddle planche - 35
W1 D5 - Wrists - 20
 
Week 2 Day 1 - Front split - 45
W2 D2 - side lever - 30
W2 D3 - freestanding handstand - 45
W2 D4 - thoracic bridge - 30
W2 D5 - manna - 30
 
Week 3 Day 1 - middle split - 45
W3 D2 - single leg squat - 25
W3 D3 - hollow back press - 30
W3 D4 - front split - 45
W3 D5 - rope climb - 30
 
The reason for posting is to ask the coaches on here if this looks balanced or am I missing something, overdoing anything etc? and would welcome suggestions on a better schedule or if I should rethink this.
 
Everett Carroll

Hi Anthony,

Each element shouldn't be taking 20-45 minutes. That is roughly the length of a whole follow along workout. Stick to following those and focus on completing at least the 'Upper Body', 'Lower Body', and 'Core' workouts once each every week. This will keep it simple and allow you just just focus on the training.

I recommend trying to perform each follow along workout once per week. If that is too much volume, consider spreading out the Handstand and Stretch courses out over multiple weeks.

If the issues with your groin and neck don't subside or get worse even after time off, consider having a physio take a look. You did the right thing by resting once you noticed them.

Anthony Winyard

Thanks for the reply Everett,

The groin and neck are both fine now as i noticed them early and rested.

Suzanna McGee

I think you scheduled too much time for the elements… the FL, sPL, etc… take about 12 minutes or so. Each one slightly different, so say 10–15 minutes. I often do F7 (all elements in one workout) and it doesn't take more than 1.5 hour…. Also the wrists are nice to do with your Handstand, as they get nicely warmed up before you start doing the handstand. 

Maybe, to get a balance, do the Foundation (all elements) 1–2 times per week (depending how fit you are and how you recover) and either do F7 (if you can handle it) or split each one in two shorter sessions. Then you have time to add the stretch afterwards. And you know that you have done everything evenly.

Lee Brown

Anthony, just checking you are following the workouts (core/upper/lower) and not trying to do all the different moves under each element? As the others say, it really shouldn't be taking anywhere near that long. 

I think it's too easy to complicate these things. Do each workout consistently and you'll make progress. I combine the lower body workout with either core and/or upper body and still get it done around 30 minutes. 

I don't have the stretch series, but follow a classic A/B/A schedule with two handstands and it fits the 30 minute daily idea you menationed. So:

MON - core + lower

TUES - H1

WED - upper + lower

THURS -H1

FRI - core 

with the next week two upper body workouts and one core, and so on. 

Take out the second core and only do one handstand workout from that and you'd have two free days to maybe do the stretch workouts...

Anthony Winyard

I've now realised where the problem was. I was doing the workouts in order at the bottom of the page, which turns out to be the Lessons & Progressions section! Am now  following the "My available workouts" section. Will pay closer attention from now on!

 

Thanks Lee, I think I will follow the schedule you suggested

Lee Brown

Glad to have helped by spotting that!

Not saying my schedule is "right," just works for me as I have less to try to fit in than you've taken on. I'm no coach, but from reading this forum know the key advice is to aim to do each workout (core/upper/lower) once a week, and ideally do the handstand (stretches, wrist work, then skill work and mobility) twice a week. Keep it simple - but keep it consistent. Good luck!