This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hollow body - how long did it take you?

Started by Marcus Patterson, October 4, 2016 · 46 Replies · 2,060 Views

Petri Widsten
56 minutes ago, Suzanna McGee said:

Today, I tried the FL/PE6 Hollow Body Rocks for the first time. What a torture! Guys, enjoy PE2 and all the others, because this one, indeed, is intense. I think I was rocking too big/slow, so the first set took me 1:20 seconds to do the 60 reps, which completely pooped me out. (I am thinking that a good tempo should be probably 60 reps in 60 seconds). Next sets, I struggled and did 50, 45, 40, 39 reps, while crying like a baby (in my mind only, of course, ha ha). Curious how my real session (this was a "test" session) will be next week, when my body recovers from this shock :)

Still, what an excellent start!

Patrick Rentz
On 10/4/2016 at 3:06 AM, Marcus Patterson said:

If there is one exercise that I have come to despise it is the hollow body rocks and holds. I feel like I am never going to get past them, and knowing that I have another three progressions ahead of me once I have finished my current one is a bit depressing :)

So, how long did it take you guys to get through and are there any tips to make this more bearable?

Hollow rocks took me almost 3 months. Honestly, there's a big difference in the tempo/ROM I had been doing (trying to go by the video of the gymnastics athlete) and the tempo/ROM that the follow along videos demonstrate. The follow alongs seem to be less ROM and quicker. The good news is that I think the static holds are easier than the rock that comes before it. So PE3 is easier than PE2. PE 5 is probably easier than PE4 (I'm on PE3).

@Cameron Williams I love the sound of the idea of doing short sets of more difficult progressions here (there's no danger of getting hurt unlike some other progressions where you may be at risk if you look ahead).

Marcus Patterson

Finally managed to do 4x60

or pe3. Now to do 5x60. :P

Jon Douglas

I got the statics pretty quickly, but the rocks are one of those 'how much do you want it' exercises for me :)

Not leavin my warmup anytime soon 

Kevin Herring

As much as I like the 50% on the days off, the time I have blocked for training is all the time I have for training.  Now that I'm following the vids I don't meddle with the prescription.   Just follow the vids and then add on some additional work.  I do one of the following when my training stalls:

A: Take a two minute break and then do one set attempting/doing 150% set.  By taking two minutes I get a little recovery and knowing I only have one set then I can endure.  By attempting to go to 90 seconds it made 60 seconds feel easier.   But I only did it on the training day.  Discovered this one doing the 200% warmups like Jon suggested.  After mastering FL/PE1 I kept it as my warmup but didn't jump right to the 200% level.  I dipped my toe in the water so to speak.  When my warmup reached 150% (90 seconds) I noticed that 60 seconds wasn't that taxing mentally or physically.  I knew I "had" 100% without a doubt.  Even if you only make 110% just keep working towards anything above 100%.  Keep notes so you can measure your progress. 

B: Keep doing sets until I reach the total number of mastery reps.  What I like about this is that I'm following the vid so I can measure my progress according to GB standards and I get additional work.  Just stop a set when I can't hold good form do the mobility and then go back the strength element.  Repeat until you total out.   It may take me ten sets but the additional volume with good form has had positive results.  Just always be working to doing this in the fewest sets possible.  I was doing this for Hinge Rows before the rearrangement and new Foundation One exercise layout. 75 reps in a training session no matter how many sets it took me.

Adam Kirby

What is the 50% on days off routine?  Is that 50% reps, or 50% number of sets?

Everett Carroll

Hi Adam,

This is a deload, which begins when 3 of your elements reach Foundation 2 level progressions.

Christian Nogueira

It's also a strategy that you can use to have some more easy volume with the element if you are having trouble making progress. On the days you don't work hollow rocks, say handstand day, work sets of half of what you work normally. For example if you are struggling with 5x60reps, do on off days do 5x30 reps. It allows you to add some more easy volume to the element over the week. 

It's not something that it's in the program but it's a strategy that some users (including me) have used to get through some of the tougher elements. Just make sure that these off-day sets actually feel easy and that you have top-notch form. 

Jochen Friedrich

Do you guys see this progression as a follow along video? Cause i don´t? For me HBP PE3 is the only follow along video i get. 

I find the first set easy - but when i do the tempo as the follow along for HBP PE 3 (no breaks, just switch to the bridge and back) i feel how i lose power from one set to the next. It is easy as soon as the shoulders touch the floor - so i make sure i am up high - and also breathing gets really hard as it is against the tension in my abs ;) but it love it

Dorian Brown

I've been struggling with FL  PE 1 since I started GB and I always get stuck on 4x48. I've restarted 3 times now and I just can't get past it. I want to try doing the 50% thing but how does that work if you're following the recommended beginners schedule?

Nicholas Murray

With rocks and holds, one thing that has helped my reboot (now back at FL/PE4), is absolutely locking the legs straight so they rock with the hips and don't flap around. It actually makes the rocking easier. Try straddle rocks with floppy hips, then switch your quads on 100% and feel the difference.

Bas Albinus
On 10/4/2016 at 7:55 PM, Marcus Patterson said:

Do you do 50% on off days? never thought of that. Does it help?

I´m currently at 4x60´s straddle hollow body and it´s killing me. One thing I have started doing with these and I NEVER did before is that, when I give up during a set, instead of just quitting it for that one, I carry on with a tiny rest until the end of the set. That way I still do the 60 even if I stop once or twice. Gotta help in the end (I hope).

Way to go! I do the same but usually find my form is trash once I had to take a break and resume, so basically those bad reps don't count. What works better for me in terms of maintaining good form, is to stop rocking and just hold for as long as possible.
The progressions from HBholds to HBrocks is always much harder for me, e.g. I found flpe2 harder than flpe3 and then again flpe4 just pure murder.  
I also realied that the more time I spent on gst, I got more picky and dedicated to detail. What would've been good enough in terms of form in my pre-gb days won't satisfy these days. What would've felt easy = good enough for mastery in the early days won't be easy enough = "real easy" = true mastery these days. 

Kevin Herring
7 hours ago, Dorian Brown said:

I've been struggling with FL  PE 1 since I started GB and I always get stuck on 4x48. I've restarted 3 times now and I just can't get past it. I want to try doing the 50% thing but how does that work if you're following the recommended beginners schedule?

In one of the coach's interviews he tells of one client that was stuck on a level for an unusually long time.  But then he blasted past it.  Okay.  The coach's version was more inspiring.   The point is maybe you need to persevere at that level instead of restarting.  Staying at 4x48 will lead to adapting if you're making and honest effort.  You make be preventing the progress by bailing too soon.  I was stuck for a while.  It's just your body adapting in it's own time. 

 I occasionally make progress by getting determined to go as long as I can on the last set.  Even if it's two seconds longer than last workout.  I tell myself that the first set was easy and the last set is where the progress is made.  And when I pour effort into the last set I make progress.   When I pour effort into the first set, I'm too burned out to do decent on the rest of the sets.   So when I did 3x48 and on the last set 1x56 I was unstuck.

The 50% is just every day (two or three times a week) do a set of 50% often throughout the day.  As part of your warmup.  Again after the workout as a finisher.  Every time you go to the fridge.  During commercials of whatever TV show you're watching. 

The idea is to practice often without fatigue. 
 

Greg White
8 hours ago, Dorian Brown said:

I've been struggling with FL  PE 1 since I started GB and I always get stuck on 4x48. I've restarted 3 times now and I just can't get past it. I want to try doing the 50% thing but how does that work if you're following the recommended beginners schedule?

I've read elsewhere (I think @Alessandro Mainente  recommends this?) that before trying the 50% strategy to instead add an extra set to your current workout. So if stuck at 4 x 48s do 5 x 48s instead. Try that for a few weeks.

Alessandro Mainente

Exactly, the extra set must be done to failure. trust me, abdominal cramps have never killed someone ;-).

try also to stretch the hips flexor for 1 minute each side. prior to PE1 work.

Leo Trinidad

it is not important how long will it take you. i am still working on my hollow body because refinement is never ending and i want a beautiful handstand. ;)

Everett Carroll
15 minutes ago, Leo Trinidad said:

it is not important how long will it take you. i am still working on my hollow body because refinement is never ending and i want a beautiful handstand. ;)

And THAT is why Leo is a stud! 

Ronnicky Roy

Hollow Body seems to be the perfect staple strength base to develop for life.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
48 minutes ago, Ronnicky Roy said:

Hollow Body seems to be the perfect staple strength base to develop for life.

As well as a solid freestanding handstand, and full ROM on SLS/PE3. I think at a bare bones level, those would sort people out pretty well.

Randeep Walia

For those stuck on PE5 Hollow body hold, did you attempt mastery first with your arms by your side and then work on arms extended? I've been stuck on this position for so long with so little progress that I have to wonder if imbalances or restrictions outside of the core might be slowing me down. Often times, once I've reached the breaking point, my arms snap down almost reflexively and I can get a few more seconds before dying.

Randeep Walia

Everett Carroll
1 hour ago, Randeep Walia said:

For those stuck on PE5 Hollow body hold, did you attempt mastery first with your arms by your side and then work on arms extended?

Hey Randeep,

First mastering with arms by your side and then mastering with arms overhead would be a good way to try and bust through that roadblock. Also consider posting a form check to help us identify any red flags with your form that could be causing the plateau.