Any advice greatly appreciated. I can see that I. I can see I need to keep my body and weight forward as i press up
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Nick Jones, October 3, 2016 · 19 Replies · 361 Views
Any advice greatly appreciated. I can see that I. I can see I need to keep my body and weight forward as i press up
Hi Nick
Your torso and legs need to form a straight line. At the moment you are piking at the hips, thereby shortening the lever, and making the exercise easier.
Use a mirror to correct form in real time, and employ an exaggerated PPT (posterior pelvic tilt) while you teach yourself the position.
Since you're on the top of the toes for this PE, you can test if your body is completely flat against the floor in the low position. If there's space under your hips, well, you're still piked.
Hi @Nick Jones, try to turn your wrist to 90 degrees so it can help you maintain that lean. With the sweatshirt, I cannot full see if your elbows are bending on top of each rep. Your hips are piking. How good is your planche lean?
Hi @Mikkel Ravn and @Leo Trinidad thanks for your replies and advice. Yes when I emphasise ppt I like so am realy working on straightening my body. Below is a video from today. Should be easier to see everything and I think it's a bit better, though still piking. Let me know what you think please. I hold the lean for a few seconds first the perform pe3
10 hours ago, Leo Trinidad said:Hi @Nick Jones, try to turn your wrist to 90 degrees so it can help you maintain that lean. With the sweatshirt, I cannot full see if your elbows are bending on top of each rep. Your hips are piking. How good is your planche lean?
On 03/10/2016 at 9:01 AM, Mikkel Ravn said:Hi Nick
Your torso and legs need to form a straight line. At the moment you are piking at the hips, thereby shortening the lever, and making the exercise easier.
Use a mirror to correct form in real time, and employ an exaggerated PPT (posterior pelvic tilt) while you teach yourself the position.
Since you're on the top of the toes for this PE, you can test if your body is completely flat against the floor in the low position. If there's space under your hips, well, you're still piked.
Hi Nick, hips are piked, please pay attention that this point can be easily observed by the video. the body positioning has the same nature of the planche lean. for this reason the exercise begins with a diagonal bodyline that force to the different part of the body to reach the florr accordingly with the initial line. in this case, quads reaches first, then hips then the upper body.
Thanks @Alessandro Mainente I am keeping this exercise on 3 sets of 2 reps at the moment but may just do singles for more sets just to focus on my technique. I did wonder if the pike when going into ppt is triggered by tight quads and hip flexor. I am stretching these every day and I follow the stretch series once a week also. Thanks again much appreciated
Yes Nick, tight quads can be the problem, but usually the PPT it is strongly influenced by quads if you bend the knee more then 90°, in your case it is simply a matter of moving the feet backward a couple of cm, you will find that if you do not want to move also the shoulders (so that they are no longer over the wrists) the only solution it is to move the hips a bit lower by squeezing more the butt.
When I was having piking issues (or when I still have
), when I focused on really squeezing the glutes tight, really tight, it goes away. I was thinking to squeeze them super tight and reaching the ground with the hips and quads first, and at the same time. This really gets the piking away.
Will do @Alessandro Mainente And@Suzanna McGee
Nick,
As you lean forward keep in mind to keep pressing your hips downward. When you go down, keep pressing hips downward and when you pushup keep pressing your hips downward. I hope this helps. Keep working on it. This will greatly improve as your planche lean gets better.
Thanks @Leo Trinidad will do
Hi @Leo Trinidad @Alessandro Mainente @Suzanna McGee And @Mikkel Ravn in the interest of setting this spot on I wondered if you would be so kind as give me feed back on the following scaled back progressions.
firstly video of Scapular protraction and depression whilst on my knees. I can feel my scapular depressing but am not sure if it is enough
The next video shows a basic straight arm plank. What I need to know here is am in a straight body position i.e. No pike
My thoughts are to scale back to PE2 for hollow back press and maybe have a skill session where I practice the depressed and protracted scapular position on my knees. I could develop this into a kneeling planche lean
Any advice would be much appreciated
In the first video, for building protraction it will greatly benefit you but you are flexing your spine to much therefore making the range of motion shorter. Keep in mind that you want to stay long and protracted at the same time while leaning and pushing your hips downward and forward.
On the second video, you are not piking but you are arching. You lack protraction on top. Keep working on your shrugs and your cat cow to be able to fix the deficits. This is why foundations is so important. I hope this helps.
@Nick Jones, this is going to be a little awkward what I am going to write, so bare with me… Like Leo said, your lower back is arching. I guess when we learn these right positions, sometimes in attempt not too pike, we squeeze the glutes and push them down and start arching because we don't keep the abs tight. When I work with my athletes and want to make them do it right, when they are in the plank and squeezing the booty and arching too much, I tell them (the male ones) that is is almost like they want to lift their pee-pee…
they generally get it immediately
they do a sweet PPT and keep everything solid… Squeeze your glutes, but also don't let your abs go.
@Leo Trinidad and @Suzanna McGee (not awkward at all Lol) Due to the advice you have all given me I thought I would post a few reps of Scapular Push-ups just to make sure I am on the right track. If I am not should I scale the scapular push ups back? If so what do you recommend?
I will say that a do have a big but from years of heavy squating not sure if that makes a difference so in this video I am doing what you are suggesting. I hope
Thanks again for your help
@Nick Jones I can see your "pee-pee up" move in the beginning and it looks so much better!
You are doing just great Nick. Keep working on the form. ![]()
Thanks @Suzanna McGee and @Leo Trinidad your advice and encouragement make a huge difference My plans is to get down to @Wesley Tan of FormaGST his gym is about 90 minutes drive from me and I know this will also be of great help to me
Thanks again
Hi Nick,
Yes come and pay us a visit at Forma. We'll make sure you get all the correct adjustments for proper form on all your current progressions. It will give your training a BIG boost also :-D
I look forward to meeting you soon,
Wesley
Thanks @Wesley Tan one Sunday in November so I can catch F1 and HS1