This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Cardio for older people

Started by Hermann Thiel, October 2, 2016 · 11 Replies · 454 Views

Hermann Thiel

In the Tim Ferriss interview, Coach Sommer mentioned that older people need more cardio. How much and what type of cardio is recommended for someone over fifty in combination with GST?

Alessandro Mainente

Cardio for older people from my POV needs a previous heart exam in order to be completely sure about the possibility to follow specific protocols.

Hermann Thiel

Thanks Alessandro. My heart checkups were all good and cleared for strenuous exercise.

Christopher Haddock

I'm 54 and I am on a running plan and do infrequent CrossFit WODs.  

Alessandro Mainente

For adult personally I think that 3-4 miles for 2-3 times a week should be the final goal.

You are welcome to begin with only half a mile or 3/4 mile and slowly add half a mile every week. then when reached the 3-4 miles you can consider to reduce the time you need to run this distance.

ideally 3-4 miles on 30 minutes it is a good long therm goal.

Hermann Thiel

Thanks again, Alessandro. That helps a lot!

Paul Gray

Alessandro - is the goal always to keep the heart rate down while doing this so that it's nothing more than a gentle jog?

Toni Laukkavaara

I wouldn't run if i were older, Why not cycle instead?

Bill Marr

Funny to hear everyone's definition of older people. I'm 58 and consider myself in infant middle-age. As for the type of cardio, I believe steady-state cardio exercise is a waste of time. After acclimatisation, you are much better off with a high-intensity interval training (HIIT) regimen. You can incorporate HIIT into any type of activity: running (sprints); cycling; weight training; skipping; calisthenics. The benefits of HIIT over steady-state cardio training include: heart rate approaching max (desirable); increased fat metabolism; less time invested; easier on joints. As a lifelong soccer player where cardio conditioning is essential, it never made sense to me to see people on long, slow lumbering runs or endless slow, steady time on an elliptical or treadmill. Add HIIT to your workout regimen and your cardio conditioning can soar. And yes, even older people can do this!

Coach Sommer

Hello Everyone,

Just spoke with a friend this morning who had another friend who just died.  From heart issues.  At 40 years old.

It may help to understand how important cardio is by remembering that the heart is a muscle and that cardio is strength training for the heart.  

Plus the last time I checked it doesn't matter how good our mobility and GST are if our pump stops pumping.

The particular type of cardio is completely up to you.  I have no specific recommendation for one form over another.  Some love running, some biking, some swimming.  Some love rowing.  Others prefer hiking.  Some love fast paced circuit training.  As long as the heart receives sufficient stimulation and the body tolerates the chosen form of cardio well - they are all good.

As with most things, moderation is usually the spot of highest rate of return for effort expended.  Remember that less is often more in terms of long term benefits.  What is important however is maintaining consistency and a reasonable weekly volume.  

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ryan Libke

I have posted on another topic that I have started incorporating steady state training into my training, using the Maffetone method (180 HR minus age, train below result).  This is in addition to GST and light interval training.  I see it as a form of recovery, and as a general vehicle for aerobic fitness, as a means of improving the ability to use fat as fuel, and because I find running outside very enjoyable.  I do like how it does not leave me worn down and does not subtract from GST.  However, I do this realizing that it does not really greatly increase my aerobic capacity, and does not train my anaerobic system up.  I am planning to add in some interval work, and sprints.  

For me, the real challenge is finding time to do GST and cardiovascular/metabolic training, along with a job, kids, marriage, dogs, rabbits, trees, broken sprinkler lines, etc, to attend.  That plus a need for greater recovery time and lesser capacity for volume make it imperative to be careful in exercise selection and scheduling as I get on in years.  

Hermann Thiel

I am humbled by all the responses to my first post. Thanks to everyone.