This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

pHS/PE1

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, October 1, 2016 · 21 Replies · 319 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Been working these for a while. I can really sense and feel the protraction activating now (be that on sPL, the wrist pushups, or when refining HS/PE1>im). Anyways, how do both the PE and the iM look? I've been making more conscious efforts to NOT push either the stretch series or my iMs to activate the stretch activation versus my body tightening up. Anyways, enough of a ramble. 

 

Let me know how these look, cheers. (Would be my last PE1 in HS1, HS2 or Foundations B-) )

 

 

Everett Carroll

Looks solid Daniel. Nice improvement!

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
5 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Looks solid Daniel. Nice improvement!

Is that an a-okay time for PE2?

Alessandro Mainente

Shoulder width on PE it is the best for you before progress to PE2.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Ah, okay. Will work on that then. Didn't realize that that was as essential. Another piece to the form puzzle...more refinement it is. The iM looks good though?

Alessandro Mainente

Difficult to say from here but be sure to pass at least the hands level.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Well, nevertheless, will refine the iM as I slowly work on bringing the hands to shoulder width (got ambitious and tried for it today -- realized I need to make slower progress as I bring my hands inward). I will repost in a few weeks once it's comfortable.

 

Cheers.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Here are my fifth and sixth sets from today. The third video I filmed both the PE and iM together, though it isn't labeled as such. I'm feeling comfortable in both positions and would like to move on, but I would prefer to have a vote of confidence before I do.

 

Set 5: 

 

 

Set 6:

 

Any better? 

 

Everett Carroll

Solid. Looks good to me Daniel.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So, move on? Nice. Only one more element on PE1...progress, indeed.

Everett Carroll

Hey Daniel,

I spoke with @Alessandro Mainente and, after rewatching it, it is unclear whether your hips are below your heels at your lowest point. Sorry but before moving forward, to ensure steadier long term progress, you want your hips/butt below your heels on each rep. Your form looks good for both; you just need to increase ROM on the iM. On your next submission, try to set the camera to approximately the height your feet are at on the ladder.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Will do. Cheers.

Kai Ewert

@Everett Carroll Hips below heels or below hands? I've seen hips below hands mentioned on the forum before, hips below heels is a whole other level though.

Matthew Hanham

The gymnast in the course videos barely reaches hips below hands let alone hips below below heels.  Hips below heels would make the starting position very difficult.  And if you're unfortunate with your geometry, pretty much impossible.

Kai Ewert

That's why I was checking in. I think it's just a typo. Hips below hands is a solid amount of flexibility, and Daniel is just about there. 

For what it's worth, the starting position does not have to be extreme to get hips below heels. but the flexibility required is very high. It would make no sense to me to require that while holding someone back from the next levels of strength development for the pHS. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Yeah I may move on next week. I'll keep refining the mobility, but PE2>im works the same position, too. I appreciate additional insights.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Here are two more angles of pHS/PE1 and PE1>im from yesterday that I filmed. I tried to be conscious of being able to see my hand/hip ratio and placement. In the front-on angle, you can just see my fingertips cresting behind my glutes/hips. Should have maybe put the camera more at wrist level, but being that it's the basement, it's dusty as all hell, and it's an iPad I used what was readily available. Let me know how these look. Easy enough for me at this point (though I aim quite sore after following my Handstand workout with TBs yesterday, haha).

 

Side Angle: 

 

Front Angle:

Kai Ewert

To me it doesn't seem like you are getting the hips below the hands. But it also seems like you are stopping before the lowest point that you could reach. Are you feeling a good stretch at the bottom?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
51 minutes ago, Kai Ewert said:

To me it doesn't seem like you are getting the hips below the hands. But it also seems like you are stopping before the lowest point that you could reach. Are you feeling a good stretch at the bottom?

Oh yes. I very well could be in need of more hamstring flexibility before this iM is mastered. I wouldn't doubt that. Things are coming along in all areas...the body just likes to do things on its own schedule.

Everett Carroll

That was not a typo. Hips below hands is the very minimum and it will pay off to exceed the minimum here. Aim for hips below heels!

Kai Ewert

Considering that the iMs for the next two PEs are but slight variations of this iM, I'd compare this to Jefferson curls or other iMs/PEs that one will continue doing after mastery.

Requiring hips below heels for mastery of pHS-PE1 is like requiring bodyweight Jefferson curls for moving on from MN-PE2. 

Kai Ewert

That is not to say that the excellent pike flexibility that hips below heels would demonstrate wouldn't come in extremely handy for press HS. It absolutely will.