This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Restarting F1

Started by Mikey Cunanan, September 30, 2016 · 9 Replies · 416 Views

Mikey Cunanan

Hey everyone,

I'd like to share one of my favorite quotes from @Coach Sommer himself!

Quote

The best in the world are obsessed with the basics!

He continued to back this statement by giving references to the progress that @Leo Trinidad has made simply by restarting at F1 every time he hit a plateau.

After taking meticulous notes on all the subtle intricacies of GST I have decided to put my note taking skills to use by restarting the Foundation 1 from the very beginning to refine what I once thought was mastered. This notion, however, was far from the truth. In just the past week of refining the initial progressions I have found deficiencies that before I have never noticed. 

I know most would be upset to have to restart a previously mastered progression, however I feel excited to restart as my mindset has changed tremendously. So the moral of this post is to encourage others to embrace the basics and enjoy the process, because once you do the results will speak for itself.

Mikkel Ravn

Where did you get to in Foundation? 

Keep us posted about your progress. 

Mikey Cunanan

Not very far as I just recently started GB no more than 7 months ago. 

I was near the end of F3 for sls

At the very end of F2 for mn/sl

Starting F2 for hbp

And at the end of F1 for fl/and rc

So far so good progressions have been really easy but scaling back allows me to focus more on getting into proper positions.

I'll keep you updated once I catch up to where I was. 

 

Jon Douglas

Doing this has made a big difference for me too. Fixing lines, subtleties of positions. Some progressions I tested back up to F4 without missing a beat; some require more fixing.

Pretty much never a bad idea; the worst outcome is a gradual intensity ramp up back to where you were that in itself may be enough to overcome a temporary plateau 

Mikey Cunanan

@Jon Douglas how did you approach testing mastery? I know you did f7 3x a week.  Did you test mastery for each progression then move to the next in the same week, or would you advise working one progression for each element each week? 

Jon Douglas

A test is a test. Either approach is fine, I moved on as long as I was 110% solid on it, videod myself each step. 

Form checks here may save you some guesses unless you are very sure what you're looking for :)

Once my testing slowed down i ditched the 3x F7, I prefer more frequent split workouts at the moment because i live a busy life and I find them easier to concentrate on without overdoing it. For me, when trying to develop that many areas at once the volume was too much. As i have observed before it's the difference between surviving your workouts and recovering enough between them to profit. This is where discussions of minimal effective dose come in.

/ramble

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
23 minutes ago, Jon Douglas said:

A test is a test. Either approach is fine, I moved on as long as I was 110% solid on it, videod myself each step. 

Form checks here may save you some guesses unless you are very sure what you're looking for :)

Once my testing slowed down i ditched the 3x F7, I prefer more frequent split workouts at the moment because i live a busy life and I find them easier to concentrate on without overdoing it. For me, when trying to develop that many areas at once the volume was too much. As i have observed before it's the difference between surviving your workouts and recovering enough between them to profit. This is where discussions of minimal effective dose come in.

/ramble

So true about the minimum effective dose. As stress creeps in, you still have to train and whatever keeps you going, keeps you consistent, while allowing recovering is essential. I restarted in June and feel way stronger than I did before.

Maksis Riley

Thought I'd jump in here and also vouch for the Leo restart ("leostart"? There's something there). 

 

As well as refining all the basics and picking up on weaknesses, it's a great way to scale intensity for people who have a tendency to push too hard and try and force the issue; as I do. 

 

I know the next time I stall out or feel overly beaten up, that I will run through again without as much hesitation as before :)

 

Max

Greg White
On ‎01‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:22 AM, Jon Douglas said:

A test is a test. Either approach is fine, I moved on as long as I was 110% solid on it, videod myself each step. 

Form checks here may save you some guesses unless you are very sure what you're looking for :)

Once my testing slowed down i ditched the 3x F7, I prefer more frequent split workouts at the moment because i live a busy life and I find them easier to concentrate on without overdoing it. For me, when trying to develop that many areas at once the volume was too much. As i have observed before it's the difference between surviving your workouts and recovering enough between them to profit. This is where discussions of minimal effective dose come in.

/ramble

Nicely put. Over the last week or so I've read a few people on the forum say they had overtrained. When people say this i think are you really working that hard? pro athletes training 3 sessions a day 6 days a week arent over trained. I think people confuse under recovering with over training. Are they sleeping well, eating right/ enough, coping with stress etc.

Leo Trinidad

well said @Greg White :) people do not consider circumstances outside their training schedule. 

as for the "leo restart/leostart" it simply just means NOT STOPPING EVER or CONSISTENCY.

training is never the problem. problems are outside which greatly affects the training itself. how you handle these things will clearly show much you can progress. ^_^