Dear Coach Sommer,
I've been wondering about this for quite a while, and so I decided finally to ask!
It is well known that you advocate a strict 60 seconds total time when training the various static holds, and I wanted to know what is the significance of holding for exactly that amount of time and not say... 40 seconds... or 50 seconds...?
You see, speaking strictly from my own personal training experience, I've always felt that 60 seconds total was a bit too much and too fatiguing, and have always seen pretty good results in terms of strength gains from 30-45 seconds total when I was training the various static holds (so usually I did 3x10sec/3x15sec sets).
The past 6 weeks I've been doing a steady state cycle, integrating both static and dynamic holds, and making sure to hold a total of 60 seconds on all static holds (doing 9x7sec for a combined total of ~60 seconds), and training 4 times/week. Now after starting to experience my strength diminishing from week 5 onward which doesn't seem to be getting any better (I just started week 7 and I wrote a post about it - here), I can't help but wonder if perhaps I could have avoided this and seen better results had I done only 30-40 sec total on the statics instead of 60 seconds... It seems logical, because static holds put more strain on the CNS, and this definitely feels like CNS fatigue. And so if just 30-40 sec total is still enough to see strength gains, while minimizing the CNS strain, then *theoretically* this seems like a better approach if you want to keep from overtraining, no?
Please don't misunderstand, as this is of course in no way a criticism of your methods since they've obviously worked extremely well for both your athletes and the many people who have applied them in their personal training as well; rather, I just want to know if maybe the rule of following exactly 60 seconds total when training the static holds could perhaps not be ideal to all trainees (in this case talking about myself), and perhaps modifying it to just 30-45 seconds total might produce better results for some?
Also just one more question on the side... what is the significance of maintaining short 30-60 second rest breaks between sets when doing basic strength (whether it's static holds or dynamic exercises)? I've read that with strength training 3-5 minutes is ideal between sets, while 30-90 seconds is more for bodybuilding and hypertrophy... so this seems like a contradiction! Can you please clear this up?
Thank you for your time and advice Coach!!! ![]()