This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

pHS/PE2 Tip Toe Press, plus iM

Started by Suzanna McGee, September 29, 2016 · 5 Replies · 142 Views

Suzanna McGee

I have watched many old videos and form checks and comments of other people, so I would get the right idea what needs to be done. I did The Tip Toe Press today, and would love to hear some pointers on what to improve. I was trying to push the arms to the ground, not lean forward, keep my knees straight, and protract my shoulder blades… Forgive my peaking into the camera, I wanted to make sure not to lean forward with my arms, which wanted to be my tendency. On the iM, I let myself relax and hang, my head was almost between my shins for a while. Not sure if that's correct. But it for sure felt like a great stretch. 

 

 

Jon Douglas

Hi Suzanna,

These are coming along well :) You should work to go lower in the im, horizontal is a good goal and past it is excellent, and work to get your hips stacked with shoulders more in the pe, but this comes more into focus on the upcoming elements :)

Suzanna McGee

Thank you @Jon Douglas! I will keep your words in my mind when I practice. I am suspecting that for the iM, to get to or below horizontal, I have to step closer with my hands and feet together (one, or two more rails up)?  And for the PE, hips more above my shoulders, I am a little long-torso-short-legged (relatively), and it feels there is no way my hips can get above my shoulders…  lol… but I guess there are similar bodies who can put the hips above the shoulders, so I just need to practice and practice. I will keep trying, thank you!

Kai Ewert

I am not sure what Jon means with horizontal, previously I have seen hips level with hands as the minimum requirement for passing this mobility element. Looks like you are pretty close to that. 

While working on the ROM in the iM, just aim to make the PE as hard as possible :)

 

Kai Ewert

Also, a bit to my surprise I have found that the distance between hands and feet has less big an effect on how deep you go in the iM than I thought. That's true at least for getting hips down to hand height for me.

The intensity of the stretch will go up though as you move hands and feet closer together because a greater force will assist you with compression. So proceed with caution. Your pike looks nice and tight though, so all you may have to do is adjust to the intensity.

Matthew Hanham
On 30/09/2016 at 5:33 PM, Suzanna McGee said:

...And for the PE, hips more above my shoulders, I am a little long-torso-short-legged (relatively), and it feels there is no way my hips can get above my shoulders… 

If you're maximally compressed at the hips and your back and shoulders are maximally extended/open and your feet still aren't off the ground, the only other thing to adjust is the angle of your wrists.  Its a fact that for some proportions, in order for your cog to get over your wrists you'll need to rotate forwards about the wrists.