This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

New - Wrist Pain prior to wrist mobility

Started by Duncan Hamilton, September 29, 2016 · 2 Replies · 57 Views

Duncan Hamilton

Hi all,

New to GB and excited to get stuck in! After the first fundamentals exercise (ape/crab) i have found my wrists to be a bit sore (left more so than right), even a few days later. I felt considerable pressure on the arms during the crab. Based on a wrist diagram i'd say the pain is just at the top of the ulna. 

I am unsure whether to take on the wrist mobility exercises currently. I want to do everything properly and certainly don't want injury problems while starting out and motivated. Any experience/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Duncan

Jon Douglas

Hi Duncan,

Right course on backing off if it's causing you discomfort. 

For crab specifically there is no need to initially turn the hands to point backwards; this is a common beginner area to experience some tightness in the wrists elbows or shoulders.

You should be able to work wrist mobility after some rest, but certainly not to the point of pain-- not even to severe discomfort. You should aim at this stage simply to feel full range of motion in the wrists for your current flexibility, more will build with time.

If the pain persistsa medical professional should be your next step, but I expect you'll be fine after resting it a little  (provided no pre existing pathology of course :) )

 

Duncan Hamilton

Hi Jon,

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll change up the crab as you suggested to take some pressure off. I've left it for 2 days now and they are starting to feel better. Buzzing to get stuck into it again!

Cheers,

Duncan