This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

foam rolling prior to streching

Started by Ferdinand Berr, September 28, 2016 · 1 Replies · 185 Views

Ferdinand Berr

Hi!

 

I have a general question concerning stretch sessions. In a book about kettlebell training I read that it is very important to use a foam roller and do some myofascial massage prior to stretching. I'll try to translate the corresponding part: "Before you think about the length of your muscles and tendons, that is stretch, you should care about the quality of your muscle-, tendon- and fascia tissue. Otherwise the effect of stretching will be low. [...] We hardly can change a muscle's length, if we didn't change its density prior to that." (Sukopp, T. , 2016)

 

What do you think about that? Is it really that important to use the foam roller prior to stretching or is it just a nice "bonus"?

Coach Sommer

Hi Ferdinand,


The VAST majority of athletes worldwide (including gymnasts) do not use a foam roller prior to stretching.  That being said, it wouldn't hurt for you to experiment with this.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer