This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Training alongside Foundation One

Started by James Cook, September 27, 2016 · 7 Replies · 284 Views

James Cook

I am about to start the Foundation 1 training (Upper, Lower body and Core).

I train to a relatively high frequency, usually some running, rowing, weights (for muscle gain and strength), and calisthenics such as pushups, burpees, squats etc.

My question is - can I continue to do this alongside the Foundation One course without diminishing the results from the course? If not, what measures can I take, and/or which of the above exercises should I not continue with?

Thanks all,

J

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi James yes you can, but in order to have best results in therms of mobility, work capacity etc you need to give priority to foundations.

Antonio Alías Montoya

If you lift weight, do calisthenics and also Gymnastic Strength Training you can probably find very soon it might be too much. When I started with Foundation One I also kept part of my old training in my workouts, but with time I was taking these exercises out and giving all the priority to Foundation. Now I just train Foundation and Strecht Series. 

But if you are still attached to your old training I recommend you to practice then once a week all F1 elements but without interferences, I mean if you train all 7 elements in one day, give you 1 or 2 rest days without strenght training (dependind on your recovery) and if you split the workouts then if you work for example Foundation Upper Body don t do after that Bench Press or Chin Ups, train another part.

Some running or rowing can be very good after strenght training or in rest days if it s light but be very very careful in mixing weightlifting, calisthenics and gymnastics, there is too much of everything which in the end results in nothing,  it actually results in lack of progress. I was doing calisthenics before and no there is no need to add it, just think about that: gymnastic is like calisthenic with a much scientific and health related aproach, so you ll be able to do plenty of dips and pulls up with the time if you work in Foundation and with less risk of injury.

Give yourself to it! 

Suzanna McGee

I was like you, doing many different things and training. Gym 6 days a week… I started with Handstand, then I loved it so much that I bought the stretches, and then Foundation. The more GST stuff I was adding, the more I was taking out from my "regular" workouts. Now I don't do any of my gym workouts… You find yourself, as time goes, that 1) you won't need them 2) you won't want them 3) you will get amazing results just with the GST… :) 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

GST is calisthenics? I don't understand. Rows, squats, and pushups will be fully covered in the Foundation series and if you don't rest on your laurels during the workout, which I assume you don't, you'll get a comparable workout in as you would have otherwise.

Antonio Alías Montoya
9 hours ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

GST is calisthenics? I don't understand. Rows, squats, and pushups will be fully covered in the Foundation series and if you don't rest on your laurels during the workout, which I assume you don't, you'll get a comparable workout in as you would have otherwise.

Calisthenics means Body Weight Strenght Training. GST is calisthenics in the sense that is bodyweight training.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

But GST is a bodyweight strength training program...so it is calisthenics.

Leo Trinidad

As Alessandro said, give priority to the Foundations. If you still want to continue with you your other activities, make sure your finish with your foundations first.